none
Custom Field in Server 2010 Project Center View

Question

• I am attempting to modify the summary view in Project Center to show a custom field/column.

My goal is get a total of work hours for only certain tasks in a project. I created a custom task flag field called "TA". For every task where I want to track the hours, I set the flag to Yes.

I then created a custom task number field called "TA Bud Work" with the formula "IIf([TA], [Work] / 60, 0)" and custom task number field called "TA Act Work" with the formula " IIf([TA], [Actual Work] / 60, 0)"

I set the calculation for summary rows to roll up and sum. So each task has a column to calculate both the estimated and actual work hours for those tasks flagged to do so.

When I go into Server Settings / Manage Views to edit the "Summary View" and attempt to add these fields, they are not there? Any ideas?

I also see a bunch of generic fields i.e. Text1, Text2, Number1, Number2, etc. like you find in the desktop Project. What are they doing here?

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:04 AM

All replies

• Though you have rolled up to summary, you need to get it into the Project Summary.  If your task level custom field is called MyWorkValue then you need to create a Project level Enterprise Custom field of type Formula.  The formula is

= [MyWorkValue]

Note that all your formulas need to be Enterprise ones (ie created on the server).

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

• Proposed as answer by James Boman Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:52 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:46 AM
  • hi

you should make a Project custom field in type of Number and in the formula bar you should write your task field's name like [TA Act Work]

then you can watch the new field in project summary view.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:40 AM
  • wsg2,

Just so you understand the principle: Task-level ECFs will only show-up in Task-Level views.  If you wish an ECF to show-up in a Project Summary view, it will need to be a Project-Level ECF.

• Edited by Edward Hanna Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:56 PM Remove Signature Line
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Thanks very much. It all works now.

Where does one go to learn such principles? I have several Project Server books and that was never mentioned.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 11:34 PM
  • For all of us, it is a constant quest to learn as much as we can about these complex tools. But absolute mastery is a moving target and there's always more to learn. 

It has been my experience as well that the books and the Microsoft documentation do not tell you everything you need to know. There always seem to be things that have not been specifically stated--things that fall between the proverbial cracks.

But the authors of this content have the same "moving target" problem as the rest of us.  There's so much to cover and--even in a 1,200 page book--everything does not get covered.

So, tuning in to these forums is one of the best ways to fill-in the missing pieces.

• Edited by Edward Hanna Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:28 AM Delete Signature Line
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:27 AM
  • Books are great aren't they, but then there is so much that cannot be covered in them.  Attend seminars, conferences, read the forums, watch the webinars and generally talk to as many people as possible to find out what is possible. 

Repeat every 2-3 years as a new version arrives :)

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:17 AM