none
DNS value don't stick for Debian server: Win2003 Primary DNS server.

Question

• When I first set the Debian\Wheezy server up it grabbed a DHCP address.  I deleted that A record along with PTR record and  created a new A record and PTR record using a different ip address.  The Timestamp column says it's a static address.

The A record keeps reverting back to the initial DHCP address.  I've checked DHCP for the record and I don't see it listed.

The PTR record always has the correct ip address listed.  We've the typical Primary and Backup DNS servers running Win2003. I check them both to ensure they're in sync.

How can I get it to stick?  Need more info let me know.  Thanks

Here's how I'm creating the A record.

Open DNS Manager - click on the dns server to select it - click on the domain to select it - click on Action - click on New Host - fill out the form - enable "Create associated PTR record - leave the box labeled "Allow any authenticated user to update DNS records with the same owner name" blank. I've also tried enabling this feature when creating the record, no joy.

click on Add Host button

Also tried clicking on the New Record icon - click on Host (A or AAAA) - Create Record button - fill out the form

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:36 AM

Answers

• Yes. I'am not a linux guru at all, but on Windows you can put 2 IP into one NIC. So are you sure you don't have the NIC in DHCP while it got a static IP assigned to it too ? (in a setup like that the static IP will register first, and the DHCP's after because of the DHCP delay)

By reverting I mean, if you delete the record and it come back, something registred it into the DNS.

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

• Edited by Yagmoth555MVP, Moderator Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:33 AM content added
    • Marked as answer by j.w.a Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:39 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:32 AM

All replies

• If it revert, then a NIC registred that IP into your DNS. Does you got 2 NIC, or 2 IP into that NIC in that server ? (and the DHCP register last...)

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 4:15 AM
  • It has one nic.

What do you mean by "If it reverts, then a NIC registered that IP into your DNS?" When you say "a NIC" are you referring to the NIC in the Debian server? 

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:41 PM
  • Yes. I'am not a linux guru at all, but on Windows you can put 2 IP into one NIC. So are you sure you don't have the NIC in DHCP while it got a static IP assigned to it too ? (in a setup like that the static IP will register first, and the DHCP's after because of the DHCP delay)

By reverting I mean, if you delete the record and it come back, something registred it into the DNS.

• Edited by Yagmoth555MVP, Moderator Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:33 AM content added
    • Marked as answer by j.w.a Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:39 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:32 AM
  • Hi - after reading your reply a few minutes ago. I checked the DHCP leases again, and there was a record in DHCP for the server.  There was also the static one in DNS.  I've deleted the DHCP record again.  I've managed Bind servers for awhile so I'm aware that you can assign multiple ip's to the same nic.

I understand that with a Windows machine an A record can be added dynamically to DNS.  I don't understand how that would happen with a Linux box though.  I'll google for an explanation. 

Thanks for pointing out that the static IP registers first and then the DHCP IP.  I appreciate your help solving this problem.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:39 AM