none
Nested Hyper-V 2012 Server host with 2008R2 guest = DHCP but no internet

Question

• I've got a Hyper-V Server 2012 running on a ESXi 5.1 hypervisor. In the Hyper-V server I have installed a server 2008 R2 OS. The OS is working fine except for the fact that it isn't getting internet access. It get's an IP from my DHCP server (a VM on my ESXi host) and I can release/renew it but I can't ping the gateway (or anything else for that matter). I have internet access on the Hyper-V server, just not on the Hyper-V guest.

Any ideas?

TIA!

Edit - My ESXi box is connected with 1 NIC
    • Edited by Alceryes Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:57 PM
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:50 PM

Answers

• Solved!

I needed to enable 'promiscuous mode' on the vswitch in the ESXi host. I created a seperate portgroup, enabled promiscuous mode, and moved the Hyper-V 2012 to that group and it started working instantly.

• Marked as answer by Alceryes Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:18 PM
    • Edited by Alceryes Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:21 PM
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:18 PM

All replies

• Theoretically, the OS being embedded in your scenario shouldn't create any sort of networking issue (although we really don't like this setup and only acknowledge it for test purposes... kinda). On a first glance, it sounds like you have more of an ESX problem than a Hyper-V problem as you can clearly communicate in and out of the Hyper-V guest machine (as you get a DHCP address). I would take a look at your networking configuration and make sure there isn't also a communication problem outside the host from any of your other virtual machines).
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 9:08 PM
  • Thx Ted. Yeah, I'm really just testing it out. Although, nested Hyper-V clusters sounds cool :)

I know that networking is different in Hyper-V compared to VMware. All I did was create an 'external' switch in the Hyper-V manager and attach it to the nested guest. Does that sound correct?

Thursday, March 07, 2013 9:20 PM
  • Again, theoretically, it sounds correct. Mind you, I have never run this setup. I assume you have a vSwitch (let's call it X) on your ESX host connected to you LAN. Under that, you have the VM with Hyper-V installed which is configured with a virtual adapter connected to X. Under that, you created an external virtual switch bound to the adapter connected to X (call that Y). Then you have the Win 2008 R2 guest with a virtual adapter connected to Y (thus connected to X... thus connected to your LAN). That was hard to type :-)
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 9:26 PM
  • Ted,

On the 2008R2 VM I just went to settings (R-click on VM in Hyper-V manager) and connected the 'Network Adapter' to the external switch 'nvswitch0' which is the 'external' vswitch in the Hyper-V Manager. The Hyper-V server has internet access so I'm not sure what else could be botching it up. I posted in the VMware forum and will reply back with the solution when I get it going.

Thx!

Thursday, March 07, 2013 9:35 PM
  • Solved!

I needed to enable 'promiscuous mode' on the vswitch in the ESXi host. I created a seperate portgroup, enabled promiscuous mode, and moved the Hyper-V 2012 to that group and it started working instantly.

• Marked as answer by Alceryes Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:18 PM
    • Edited by Alceryes Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:21 PM
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:18 PM
  • Cool. I figured there was probably something on the ESX switch that was needed. Good luck!
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:06 PM
  • When I have tested with VMw fusion and nested Hyper-V the VM nic automatically wants to set the nic to promiscous mode.

The setting in the fusion is allow hyper-visor applications in this vm 

great that it worked out for you!

Friday, March 08, 2013 10:06 PM
  • Hi Alceryes

Do you have the article you followed (if there is one) to enable hyper-v on your Win2012 VM on top of ESXi ? I read many article about HyperV 2012 nested with ESXi 5.1 but i was not yet able to do it.

I have an intel proc with EPT, it should work

Thanks!

Alex

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 12:40 PM
  • I followed several articles. I don't have them, ATM...but I do remember 2 of the main things needed.

1st is the virtual hardware version #. In ESXi 5.1 you need to use the newest (9 or 9a, or something like that). Create the VM and before you power it on upgrade it to the latest. 2nd is an edit to a config file in the ESXi host. You'll need to SSH to the host and modify 1 line in a config file that deals with how the CPU is presented to the guest (in this case the HV2012 server). You should be able to find an article about the config file change. I'll look for it when I have some time.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:58 AM