none
Memory Handling Differences: CTP3 vs RC0

Question

• To preface, I am using PowerPivot on two different systems configured as follows:

System 1: Windows Server 2003 SP2 32-bit, 3GB RAM, 32-bit Excel, PowerPivot CTP3

System 2: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, 12GB RAM, 32-bit Excel, PowerPivot RC0

I have a PowerPivot model that I've been using successfully on system 1. The Excel file itself is only 6MB in size. There are a lot of calculations in the model and the PowerPivot Pivot Table has more than 300 cells. When I open the file and refresh the PT the memory usage for Excel goes up to 650MB but it refreshes successfully.

With sytem 2 however, when I simply open the file, Excel is using 115MB of RAM. When I refresh the PT the RAM usage also goes up to about 650MB and then the PT collapses and I get the following error mesage in the top left cell.

ERROR - CALCULATION ABORTED: Memory error: Allocation failure : Not enough storage is available to process this command. . If using a 32-bit version of the product, consider upgrading to the 64-bit version or increasing the amount of memory available on the machine.

Has the memory allocation handling changed in RC0 compared with CTP3?

Why can't the RC0 handle a file that the CTP3 handled just fine?

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you sure that the difference is the versions of Powerpivot and not the different operating systems? 

Up until recently I was working with two systems:

1 - A laptop with 8gb RAM, i7 Quad Core, Windows 7 and 32bit RC0

2 - A much older desktop with 3gb RAM, an ageing Duo Core processor, Windows XP and 32bit RC0.

The funny thing was that system 1 was much quicker but far more prone to telling me there wasn't enough RAM whereas system 2 whilst doing everthing much more slowly could do things the supposedly 'better' system 1 would refuse to do.

Its all academic as system 1 is now running 64bit RC0 and it is AMAZING!!!!!!

Thursday, February 09, 2012 4:28 AM
  • I thought about the different operating systems possibly being the cause, so to test that I uninstalled RC0 from system 2 and instead installed CTP3 and the file works fine even on system 2. So clearly, it's not an OS thing. There is something very different about memory handling in RC0 vs CTP3 and I'm trying to find out if it's intentional or if it's a bug that will hopefully be fixed in the RC1, RC2 or RTM.

Note: I wish I had the luxury of installing 64-bit office but unfortunately corporate policy is to install 32-bit Office for compatibility with 3rd party add-ins.

• Edited by ruve1k Friday, February 10, 2012 2:22 PM
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Can you provide me a copy of the workbook by removing sensitive data so that I can make a test?

Marco

Friday, February 10, 2012 7:04 AM
  • Ruve,

Is this still an issue?

Thank you!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, October 28, 2013 7:26 AM
    Owner
  • Not really. I'm currently running more recent versions of PowerPivot.

Also, my main system now has 64-bit Office with 16GB of RAM so I don't expect to have memory issues any time soon.

Regards,

Ruve1k

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:29 PM