none
WinPE 3.1 or WinPE 4.0

Question

• I primarily use Windows 7 machines currently and was wondering if there is any reasons why I should not upgrade to WinPE 4.0. Would there be any issues I would run into with using WinPE 4.0 for Windows 8 and Windows 7 machines? I know Windows 7 is supported, but I wasn't sure if there was any known issues. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:19 AM

All replies

• What i have read (not from microsoft) is that you could or should use 4.0 with Windows 7 and 8. There is no need to upgrade to 4.0 if you don't feel that it have any features that you need. I guess it depends on what version of MDT you uses aswell?
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:23 AM
  • you don't need to upgrade if you don't need any of the new features but it won't hurt either.

i am using winpe 4.0 for a while now and no apparent problems with windows 8/7/vista/xp

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:21 PM
  • There is one issue that's been popping up that may impact some environments: if the processor doesn't support NX/DEP (which I believe some ATOM processors do not and maybe other), then Win 8 and Win PE 4.0 will not work. Here's a brief thread discussing the issue: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmanagerosd/thread/8faa337b-a648-49b4-8431-49c022b96e04

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:44 PM
  • I decided on WinPE 4 because it contains all the latest Device Drivers already. I don't need to import any Device Drivers into it now, at least for the models I am using.

Besides, if you move to 4.0 you will be ready for when you deploy Win8.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:27 PM
  • I have also just switched my Win 7 deployment share to 4.0 and haven't noticed any issues.  It is definitely faster though not by a massive amount.

I haven't upgraded our old XP deployment share as I'm a bit worried about compatibility with some of the OLD machines.

Monday, January 28, 2013 9:16 AM
  • No issues works like a charm!

Although if your using MDT2010 I suggest to upgrade to MDT2012 when that alot faster than MDT2010 because of using ImageX instead of Setup.exe. ;-)

best regards

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:16 AM