none
Error 0x800423f4 with SBS 2008 Backup

Question

• I setup Windows Small Business Server 2008 in migration mode upon completion of migration I attempted a backup through the console.  I received the following Error 0x800423f4.  Please help!  Saw a common problem and explained that I need to give the sql sharepoint database different rights.  Not really comfortable messing that up right now so I need more detailed instructions.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Kevin, have you checked event log regarding the error 0x800423f4? You can post the detail event log so that we can perform further research and troubleshooting on this issue.

Also,

1)You can check vsswriters by using the command:

vssadmin list writers

and post the result here. If it shows "State: failed", you can try register the following files:

net stop "System Event Notification Service"
    net stop "COM+ Event System"
    net stop "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider"
    net stop "Volume Shadow Copy"
    cd /d %windir%\system32
    net stop vss
    net stop swprv
    regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
    regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 /s vss_ps.dll
    vssvc /register
    regsvr32 /s /i swprv.dll
    regsvr32 /s /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 /s es.dll
    regsvr32 /s stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 /s vssui.dll
    regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
    net start "System Event Notification Service"
    net start "COM+ Event System"
    net start "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider"
    net start "Volume Shadow Copy"

2)Check writer error in event log, such as SQLWRITER error or Exchange VSS Writer  error.

Hope this helps!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 18, 2011 8:00 AM

All replies

• the sharepoint right change is not messing up. but...

if you don't wanna change anything before backup, you could try stopping services that have something to do with it and sql. never tried that myself but hey, worth a try? if it works, just a reboot and everything is running again and the system is backed up.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:09 PM
  • I have tried shuting down all the services to do with VSS and running backup with no luck.  Shutdown all sql and sharepoint services with no luck on a system state backup.  Still receiving the exact same error.  I have read every post on this available and Microsoft has NOT ONE DIRECT ANSWER to support their own product.  I logged into Microsoft Connect like suggested and TechNet no longer even lets you post questions for Small Business Server 2008!  I am so frustrated because this server crashed once and I had to rebuild from scratch because I cannot backup the system state.  This has cost me countless hours and I want to scream.  Is there anyone within Microsoft that can support their own product?  Please help.  Also my c:\ system drive is active and has always been active since install!
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:55 PM
  • Hi Kevin, have you checked event log regarding the error 0x800423f4? You can post the detail event log so that we can perform further research and troubleshooting on this issue.

Also,

1)You can check vsswriters by using the command:

vssadmin list writers

and post the result here. If it shows "State: failed", you can try register the following files:

net stop "System Event Notification Service"
    net stop "COM+ Event System"
    net stop "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider"
    net stop "Volume Shadow Copy"
    cd /d %windir%\system32
    net stop vss
    net stop swprv
    regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
    regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 /s vss_ps.dll
    vssvc /register
    regsvr32 /s /i swprv.dll
    regsvr32 /s /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 /s es.dll
    regsvr32 /s stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 /s vssui.dll
    regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
    net start "System Event Notification Service"
    net start "COM+ Event System"
    net start "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider"
    net start "Volume Shadow Copy"

2)Check writer error in event log, such as SQLWRITER error or Exchange VSS Writer  error.

Hope this helps!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 18, 2011 8:00 AM