none
rules of license activation with KMS server

Question

• I have set up KMS on Windows server 2008 R2 for our platform of virtualization (vmware). Without any physical servers for Windows 2008 and windows 2012 on this domain, the license activation does not work for any virtual machines. after adding one physical server for 2008 and one for 2012, the license activation work fine. Can you details the rules of repartition between physical and virtual system for the KMS server ?

regards

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:02 PM

Answers

• I have first try with only 5 VMs of 2012 server in a workgroup. the license activation does not work.

With 5 VMs in AD, the manual activation works but not automatically. after I have created one physical server, all activations work fine.

I have the same results with windows 2008-R2.

thank for your help. regards

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:07 PM

All replies

• Hello,

AFAIK there is no difference, we use lot of RDS servers as VM and it works fine.

Be aware that you need at least 5 Server OS and 25 Windows client to have activation running.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:22 PM
  • I have first try with only 5 VMs of 2012 server in a workgroup. the license activation does not work.

With 5 VMs in AD, the manual activation works but not automatically. after I have created one physical server, all activations work fine.

I have the same results with windows 2008-R2.

thank for your help. regards

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:07 PM