none
Windows 8.1 Assigned Access - Automatic log off

Question

• Greetings!

I am configuring a kiosk computer for a department and have configured Windows 8.1 64bit Enterprise (fully patched) in Assigned Access mode with Internet Explorer as the assigned App.

I would like for the kiosk to automatically log off after 5 minutes of inactivity. I do not want it to lock. 

Can someone explain how this might be accomplished while in Assigned Access mode?

I don't see a local GPO that really applies at this time. Google search brought up some 3rd party utilities as well as a Win XP "winexit.scr" that doesn't seem to apply to Win 8.1. Any help is much appreciated!

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:00 PM

Answers

• I found a solution in the mean time...

1) Download Screensaver Operations from http://www.grimadmin.com/filemgmt/index.php

2) Copy/Paste .scr file from download to C:\Windows\System32

3) Change the screensaver to the new screensaver and press the "Settings" button to configure

Now whenever the screensaver kicks in (5 min for our use), the user is prompted with a 10 second prompt that they will be logged off due to inactivity.

Confirmed to be working when using Assigned Access mode. Hope this helps, but I am still interested in a local Win 8.1 solution if one exists.

• Marked as answer by KevinUCD Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:18 PM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:18 PM