none
Provision & deprovision mailboxes?

General discussion

• Hi,

I see that on the AD MA, there is the ability to provision Exchange 2007 & 2010. In the sync rule we need to add some attributes to actual create the mailbox - happy with that.

1. However - how does one deprovision a mailbox?

The reason I ask is that when, in our environment, a student becomes an alumni, their local Exchange mailbox must be deleted, and a live@edu mailbox must be provisioned. Do we need to create new Sync Rules, Sets, workflows and MPRs for this?

Thank you

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:32 AM

All replies

• Good question and its odd that its been unanswered for a year.. must have been a very awkward question.

Anyways. How does one deprovision the Exchange Mailbox via FIM?

We have a collection of Mail Enabled and no-Mail Enabled users. We can provision the MailEnabled users to AD, and by following the FIM rules, provide mailNickname, homeMDB and msExchHomeServerName attributes, hey presto we get a Mailbox provisioned on AD export. Similarly for the no Mail users, if we donot provide mailNickname, homeMDB and msExchHomeServerName attributes, we ge terms an AD account without a mailbox. Fine.

NOW. What if the Mail Enabled user is to be switched to be a no Mail AD acount  (In exchange terms change him from UserMailbox back to User)

How is it done???

Simply blanking the mailNickname attribute and exporting to AD doesnt have any Effect apart from making the user invisible in Exchange.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:03 AM
  • On further investigation, blanking the mailnickName does indeed convert the Exchange Recipient Type from UserMailbox to User.

What it doesnt do, is somehow get Exchange to refresh the user's AD account details. If we examine the AD account with ADSI Edit or something, I can see all the Exchange attributes present.

I am puzzled why on a provision of an Exchange Mailbox, the users AD account is refreshed, yet on a deprovision it is not.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:26 AM