none
Get all not applicable updates

Question

• Okay, So I made a bone head move and accidentally approved ALL updates. This WSUS server is in production and it is the Main Upstream server. I would like to be able to view all of the Not Appicable updates, but I cant seem to find just that. Its always Applicable/installed.

The reasoning behind this is so I can essentially decline them all and run the server cleaner to free up a bunch of space on the Database. Can anyone inform me how to view only Not Applicable updates? 

Thank you.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:25 PM

Answers

• I would like to be able to view all of the Not Applicable updates, but I cant seem to find just that.

If you run a Status Report from a Computer, the report actually does split out Installed and Not Applicable updates. From the report, you can then click on the hyperlink for the "Not Applicable" updates, and remove the approvals. This will be quite tedious.

However, I think there's a more appropriate way to approach this scenario. The only updates you want to leave approved are those that are "NotInstalled" *and* not superseded. So the best place to start is with superseded updates, regardless of whether they're "needed" or not. Turn on the Supersedence column in the All Updates view. Filter on Approval="Approved", and sort on the supersedence column. Pick all of the updates that are superseded and remove the approvals.

Now, having only not superseded updates approved, we can then filter out the ones that are "Needed" from those that are "Installed-or-NotApplicable", and remove the approvals for the latter group (regardless of the supersession state of the update).

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:48 PM

All replies

• I would like to be able to view all of the Not Applicable updates, but I cant seem to find just that.

If you run a Status Report from a Computer, the report actually does split out Installed and Not Applicable updates. From the report, you can then click on the hyperlink for the "Not Applicable" updates, and remove the approvals. This will be quite tedious.

However, I think there's a more appropriate way to approach this scenario. The only updates you want to leave approved are those that are "NotInstalled" *and* not superseded. So the best place to start is with superseded updates, regardless of whether they're "needed" or not. Turn on the Supersedence column in the All Updates view. Filter on Approval="Approved", and sort on the supersedence column. Pick all of the updates that are superseded and remove the approvals.

Now, having only not superseded updates approved, we can then filter out the ones that are "Needed" from those that are "Installed-or-NotApplicable", and remove the approvals for the latter group (regardless of the supersession state of the update).

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:48 PM
  • Lawrence,

Once again you are the master. I have done this, but now my question falls on the "Middle Upates". What I mean by this is there are a whole lot of updates that say "This update is superseded by an update and superseded and update." Do I treat these like the bottom rung updates as well? Or is this gonna be one of those deals where I need to go through and make sure no one needs these?

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:55 PM