none
Why does IE11 on Win7 x64 bit opens only 32 bit instances for every page (tab)

Question

• When I start IE 11 on Windows 7 x64, it opens one 64 bit instance, but opens only 32 bit instances for every tab I browse on.

Can anyone explain why that is?

• Edited by prinsbee Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:55 PM
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As I known, in Internet Explorer 11 on the Desktop, by default, Content Processes remain at 32bit by default for compatibility with 32bit ActiveX controls, Toolbars, BHOs, etc. Even when you directly launch the 64bit iexplore.exe executable, you will still have a 64bit Manager Process that hosts only 32bit Content Processes. If you want to enable 64bit Content Processes for the Desktop, you must tick the Enable Enhanced Protected Mode option in the Security section of Internet Explorer’s Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 27, 2013 2:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As I known, in Internet Explorer 11 on the Desktop, by default, Content Processes remain at 32bit by default for compatibility with 32bit ActiveX controls, Toolbars, BHOs, etc. Even when you directly launch the 64bit iexplore.exe executable, you will still have a 64bit Manager Process that hosts only 32bit Content Processes. If you want to enable 64bit Content Processes for the Desktop, you must tick the Enable Enhanced Protected Mode option in the Security section of Internet Explorer’s Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 27, 2013 2:42 AM
  • Doesn't work here, as I still only get 32-bit tabs.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:13 AM