Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:02 AM
Hi, I'm getting an error which does not seem to match in the DPM 2010 ID codes. Randomly, I have backups of an exchange 2010 DAG that are failing. The backup will run for a short time (5mints..up to 10minuts) and then will fail with the following error:
Type: Recovery point
Description: Backup failed as another copy of 'user' database is currently being backed up. (ID 32628 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990D51)
End time: 4/25/2011 10:37:27 PM
Start time: 4/25/2011 10:26:55 PM
Time elapsed: 00:10:31
Data transferred: 0 MB
Cluster node -
Recovery Point Type Incremental Sync
Source details: 06001
Protection group: EXCH2010 - 06001
I've tried restarting the DPM server to troubleshoot. I say this happens randomly because I've had some backups successfully complete against the same exchange server. The only other item that seems odd is when creating protection groups against the DAG, the intial lookup seems to take forever. Not sure what to try next.
- Moved by MarcReynolds Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:37 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:01 PMModerator
When this happens, if you go to the exchange server and from within the exchange management shell type: Get-MailboxDatabase 'DBName' -Status |fl
Does this show the "BackupInProgress" flag set to true or false?
- Proposed As Answer by ShaneB. _Moderator Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:08 PM
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:59 PM
Yes, on the backups that have failed it shows that "BackupInProgress" flag is set to "True". On backups that seem to be working the "BackupInProgress" flag is set to "False"
Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:00 AM
I ended up rebooting the exchange nodes to resolve the issue. This changed the "BackupInProgress" flag to false. Thanks for your help!
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:36 PM
Is there a better solution than rebooting or restarting the information store? Can I force the flag to false?
Also in addition to a few databases, I always seem to get an error with System State backup at the same time.
"DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 521, WSB Error Code: 0x807800A1). (ID 30229 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)"
Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:14 AM
I'm also experiencing the same issue and rebooting the exchanger server is not ideal.
Is there a way to change the backup flag status from True to False without rebooting or restarting the information store?
thanks in Advance,
Friday, March 09, 2012 1:05 PMModerator
As DPM relies on the exchange writer to take the snapshot for the backup, if the backupinprogress flag is set to true and it does not seem get out of this state even when there is no actual backup in place, then at this point DPM is the victim.
As far as I am aware the only way is to clear that flag is to:
a.) Reboot the exchange server
b.) Restart the information store
In some cases even:
1.) Either Activate all other databases on another Node except for the Problem Database, and Dismount the Problem database temporarily
1.)Dismount all Databases on this Node including the problem database
2.)Restart the Exchange Information Store Service.
3.)Mount any dismounted databases
You may want to redirect this question below to the exchange 2010 forum of:
"if the backupinprogress is set to true when it should be set to false as there really is no backup being taken, then how can I reset it without having to perform:
a.) reboot of exchange
b.) restart of the information store"
Regards, Shane. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
- Marked As Answer by Yegor StartsevMVP, Moderator Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:11 AM
Thursday, August 02, 2012 2:55 PM
This is a new answer to an old post, but I've found that performing a switchover to another copy of the DB in the DAG clears the issue for me and DPM starts running again.
This is with Exchange 2010 SP1 UR6.
- Edited by ChrisinSF1 Thursday, August 02, 2012 2:56 PM
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:35 PM
I had this problem once and i solve it by restarting DPMRA service on the DPM server.
Please check that and get back to me.
If you found this helpful please mark it as an answer