This Forum contains tape backup and recovery scenario discussions in Data protection Manager
DPM compatible Tape librariesMike JacquetMicrosoft EmployeeFriday, August 06, 2010 10:24 AM
· The guidance we're giving customers is if the tape library or standalone tape drive is listed on the Windows server catalog under the hardware / storage section and shows compatible with Windows 2008 x64 or Windows 2012 X64, then it should work fine with DPM 2010 / 2012 / 2012 Sp1.
Compatible tape libraries - Applies To: System Center 2012 - Data Protection Manager, System Center 2012 SP1 - Data Protection Manager
Also leverage the DPM 2007 compatibility list, anything on this list should work on DPM2010 if they have Windows 2008 X64 drivers.
System Center Data Protection Manager 2007 Tested Hardware
If you cannot find support for the library, you can download and run the DPMtapeLibraryCompatibilityChecker tool from the following link.
For Standalone drive.
Run the following command to list libraries attached to the system.
DPMLibraryTest.exe /Certify /LL
Run the following command, where \\.\tape######## is the symbolic name of the tape drive to test from the output of the /LL command.
DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /TL \\.\Tape2147483646 /SA
For tape library
Run the following command to list the libraries attached to the system:
DPMLibraryTest.exe /Certify /LL
Run the following command, where \\.\Changer# is the symbolic name of the tape library to test from the output of the /LL command.
DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /TL \\.\Changer0 /ST 1 2 4 5
Description of the tests.
Test 1: Basic Configuration
This test will scan your system for attached devices. It will identify the libraries and the stand-alone drives attached to your system and give you a summary of what it finds. For each device, you will see a Device Name, Serial Number, Vendor Name, Product Name, Firmware Revision and SCSI properties.
At the end of this test, the user must verify whether all the information as seen by the tool. If the information is incorrect, check the following:
• Check if all the devices are listed in Device Manager.
• Ensure that the drivers for the devices are up-to-date.
• If the drive mappings are incorrect, use the DPMDriveMapping.exe to correct the mappings. If you do not have DPM installed on the computer, copy the DPMLA.xml that DPMDriveMapping.exe creates to the folder to which you extracted the Tape Library Certification tool.
Test 2: Mount/Dismount
This test will pick a tape from the first available slot and perform a mount/dismount of that tape to/from a drive.
Test3: Drive Cleaning
A cleaner cartridge in needed for this test to run. Please read the pre-requisites section for this test. If you are using Firestreamer or a VTL where you cannot remove/change tapes, please use the /ST flag of the tool to skip the cleaner test.
Test4: I/E Media
This test will pick up the first available tape and move it to the I/E port and back. If your library/VTL does not have I/E ports the tool will automatically skip the test.
This test will pick up the first available writable tape and write a few buffers to it and try reading what is written. The purpose of this test is only to check for reading/writing ability. Any specific/transient errors in any drive have to be inspected using the Advance Mode.
This test will overwrite information in the tape. Ensure that the first available tape does not have important data on it.
Once complete, for any test failures, review the LibraryTestTool-*-Curr.errlog files located in the directory you ran the tool from.
Once the tool passes the tests, then DPM should be able to use the tape library for backups.
NOTE2: DPM does not support tape libraries that have auto-clean feature enabled. If the library supports auto-clean but that feature cannot be disabled, wo do not recommend using that library with DPM.
NOTE1: DPM does not support Automated Cartridge System Library Software, ACSLS is the software that controls an Automated Cartridge System (ACS). There are no plans to support it.
Support for IBM System Storage TS2900 Tape Autoloader Added to DPM 2010 and beyondMike JacquetMicrosoft EmployeeWednesday, March 23, 2011 4:22 PM
DPM 2010 now supports the IBM System Storage TS2900 / TS357X Tape Autoloader after installing this DPM 2010 or later Hotfix.
2465832 Description of the hotfix rollup package for System Center Data Protection Manager 2010: March 2011
However, you must also add this registry key before that fix will be implemented.
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent DWORD: RSMCompatMode Value: 29 (Decimal)
Filtering and SortingUse these options to narrow down the question and discussion list.
- 155Kyrik Monday, May 13, 2013 6:51 AM
- 132Sassan Karai 14 hours 26 minutes ago
- 11120Loé A. Souza Lobo Friday, May 10, 2013 2:32 AM
- 349techophil Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:23 PM
- 138Roar 66 Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:35 AM
- 145techophil Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:31 PM
- 5232DIGITsDust Thursday, April 04, 2013 11:46 AM
- 141881sam_2003 Sunday, November 04, 2012 9:26 AM
- 041Ted.Lambert Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:00 PM
- 7122sunny2710 Thursday, May 09, 2013 1:47 PM
- 379451Philip Harrison Monday, August 16, 2010 9:27 AM
- 375Matt MBHS Thursday, May 09, 2013 11:08 PM
- 2192bazcurtis178 Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:44 AM
- 386Data Keeper Wednesday, May 08, 2013 1:34 PM
- 272Carol Chisholm Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:06 PM
- 285BobH2 Monday, May 06, 2013 2:00 AM
- 1104Amir J Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:03 AM
- 196The_Krayze Thursday, May 02, 2013 2:44 PM
- 3101dmastin Wednesday, May 01, 2013 2:03 PM
- 192Carol Chisholm Wednesday, May 01, 2013 11:40 AM