none
KMS client reactivation schedule

Question

• I keep asking this question on the office 2010 blogs and it keeps being deleted.

So I will now ask in the forums.

I have an office 2010 client that has been activated against the KMS host.

The documentation states that the client every 7 days will try to re-license itself for another 180 days (it does this every 7 days)

My question is - what happens if the PC is off on day 7 (disconnected etc), does it try to re-license itself on day 8 (or as soon as it's reconnected) or does it wait until day 14/21/28 etc?

• Edited by Ted WayMicrosoft employee Monday, November 30, 2009 6:52 PM Subject changed
    • Moved by Tagore Bandlamudi Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:48 AM Forum Consolidation (From:Microsoft Office 2010 Volume Activation (to be retired))
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:55 PM

Answers

• My question is - what happens if the PC is off on day 7 (disconnected etc), does it try to re-license itself on day 8 (or as soon as it's reconnected) or does it wait until day 14/21/28 etc?

Sorry about your experience on the blogs... I'm not sure why your questions are being deleted.  The forums are a good place to discuss these issues.

EDIT: If your PC is off, then the next time the PC is turned on, the request will be sent.  If your PC is on but disconnected, an activation request will be sent.  If the attempt fails because there is no connection, the next activation attempt will be sent seven days later.

First, some rationale... when you're in the licensed state, you will be licensed for 180 days from the day of activation.  The seven day reactivation interval is designed to provide an opportunity to extend the licensed period beginning on the day of successful reactivation.  If you miss the activation atttempt, then it's OK.  The design is that a subsequent one seven days later may be successful.  You could just reactivate on day 179 and still be OK.

If worse comes to worst, meaning in all of the 180 days, you're not successfully activated, then you will go into 30 days of grace.  In these 30 days, an activation attempt will be sent every two hours and at every Office application boot until activation is successful.  This was designed so the KMS traffic for a large corporation where there could potentially be tens of thousands of computers would have a balance between network traffic and successful activation.

The above applies to Office clients running on Windows Vista and Windows 7.  If you're running WinXP, then you will need to start an Office application once to start the OSPP service.

If you're concerned running low on the number of days you're licensed, then you're always free to use ospp.vbs -act, which will manually trigger an activation attempt against your KMS host.
    Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office PLEX Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Monday, November 30, 2009 6:51 PM

All replies

• My question is - what happens if the PC is off on day 7 (disconnected etc), does it try to re-license itself on day 8 (or as soon as it's reconnected) or does it wait until day 14/21/28 etc?

Sorry about your experience on the blogs... I'm not sure why your questions are being deleted.  The forums are a good place to discuss these issues.

EDIT: If your PC is off, then the next time the PC is turned on, the request will be sent.  If your PC is on but disconnected, an activation request will be sent.  If the attempt fails because there is no connection, the next activation attempt will be sent seven days later.

First, some rationale... when you're in the licensed state, you will be licensed for 180 days from the day of activation.  The seven day reactivation interval is designed to provide an opportunity to extend the licensed period beginning on the day of successful reactivation.  If you miss the activation atttempt, then it's OK.  The design is that a subsequent one seven days later may be successful.  You could just reactivate on day 179 and still be OK.

If worse comes to worst, meaning in all of the 180 days, you're not successfully activated, then you will go into 30 days of grace.  In these 30 days, an activation attempt will be sent every two hours and at every Office application boot until activation is successful.  This was designed so the KMS traffic for a large corporation where there could potentially be tens of thousands of computers would have a balance between network traffic and successful activation.

The above applies to Office clients running on Windows Vista and Windows 7.  If you're running WinXP, then you will need to start an Office application once to start the OSPP service.

If you're concerned running low on the number of days you're licensed, then you're always free to use ospp.vbs -act, which will manually trigger an activation attempt against your KMS host.
    Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office PLEX Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Monday, November 30, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Ted,

Many thanks for the answer - my concern was what happens if I have every Tuesday off and that happens to be day 7/14/21 etc.

So effectively it's a redundant process in this scenario for 180 days?

Monday, November 30, 2009 6:55 PM
  • No problem! I should clarify my response though and make the distinction between your computer (1) being off, and (2) being on but disconnected.

Going back to your original question, if your computer is off, then the next time it's on, then the activation request will be sent.  For example, if the request was supposed to be sent on Tuesday, but the computer's never turned on that day, then the next time the computer's on, it'll see that it's supposed to have sent a request.  It will then send a request.  Technically the service realizes it needs to send the request, and it will send the request.  The service needs to be on.  You don't have to worry about this caveat for Windows Vista or 7.

Going to the second scenario, if the computer is on but disconnected, an activation attempt will still be made.  However, because there is no connection, then the request will fail, and the next scheduled activation request will be sent at the scheduled time.

Hope this makes a little more sense...

Tuesday, December 01, 2009 11:13 PM