none
MDT Windows Update Error: Event 41002 sent: ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by ZTIWindowsUpdate

Question

• Hello! I have some new Lenovo T440s and T540p laptops I'm imaging and I keep seeing mixed results on them. A few complete all steps with no errors, but some keep failing at the windows update post-application step. 

After taking some logs, I see this error in the ZTIWindowsUpdate log but cannot figure out why.

Any thoughts??

Event 41002 sent: ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by ZTIWindowsUpdate: Object doesn't support this property or method (438)

Monday, March 17, 2014 1:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do you have a WSUS server, or are you using Windows Update?

See if this fixes your issue:

http://keithga.wordpress.com/2013/09/12/ztiwindowsupdate-wsf-errors/

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, March 17, 2014 7:25 PM
  • I have the exact same error while using MDT to deploy updates. If I run the ZTIWindowsUpdate script outside of MDT, it works (downloads and installs the updates). If I run within MDT, only downloading completes and the installation never runs, just kicks out the error you referenced.

Bob

BobJ-

• Proposed as answer by BobJ- Wednesday, June 04, 2014 5:43 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BobJ- Wednesday, June 04, 2014 5:43 PM
    Wednesday, June 04, 2014 2:07 PM
  • All-

I found the following under another post and forum, but forgot where I found it. Anyhow, this resolved my issue with my WSUS updates not installing within the MDT Windows 7 deployments. The download process always worked, but the actual installation always errored out with the ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf file. In short, line 403 (and below) was changed to read the following:

oLogging.CreateEntry "    Failed to download:  " & UpdatesToDownload.Item(item).Identity.UpdateID & _

"  result(" & UpdateResult.GetProgress.GetUpdateResult(item).ResultCode & ") : " & UpdatesToDownload.Item(item).Title, MSIT_LogType

In addition to this, I created a task before the Pre-Installation runs in MDT and before the Post-Installation to ensure the time is sync'd up using the run command of net time \\yourdomaincontroller /set /yes

I hope someone might benefit from the above and again, this came from other post and appears to work just fine.

BobJ-

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 5:52 PM