none
Home Area Greyed out and no access granted.

Question

• Hi, We have moved all the PCs from XP to Windows 7, we are using Server 2008 as a DC, the pupils have a home area on a server and the folder is mapped via AD in the profile tab.

Some of the students have the home area mapped but it is grayed out and when double clicked says they don't have permission to it.  I have checked the permissions and they have full control on their folder.

I do not really understand why it is only some of the pupils, if were all of them i might have a clue as to why.  I thought it might be a local profile issue because if I get them to log on to another computer it maps, however I have deleted the profile on the local PC and had the student log on again and still the home area is mapped but grayed out.

Any ideas will be appreciated, there are other threads but none of them this specific problem. 

Could this problem be related to the users home area being renamed to My Documents on the server?  If so how do I combat that?

• Edited by HinchbkRob Wednesday, October 09, 2013 7:28 AM
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 7:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Sorry, there are loads of options under that GP Key, can you be more specific?

I have checked the permissions on the user home folder and they are as expected.

Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer

Remove Map Network Drive and Disconnect Network Drive

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938892.aspx

I mean the shared folder itself, go to shares and set the user name.

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:43 AM
  • I do try and keep it simple, as far as I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, that GPO only stops the pupils mapping their own drives in windows explorer, and accessing the C drive on the local PC?

the description of the  GPO from Technet link i posted above, it says: 

Prevents viewing content on selected drives in My Computer, Windows Explorer, and My Network Places

Disables the Run command, the Map Network Drive dialog box, and the Dir command at the command prompt.

I don't know what's the sequence of your GPO, and how you design it.

let'say you run the GPO above which is: Prevent access to drives from My Computer

And after running this GPO you run another GPO which mapped the drive of user's home folder, in this case there might be some issues on implementing.

Because the first GPO, already prevents the appearing of map network drive and the second GPO is trying to map a new drive.  (not really sure about this just an idea that might cause a problem on your side)

You can use: Group Policy Modelling Wizard to simulate your GPO implementation.

Just curious why you make the life of the pupils so difficult? give them space to breath... :)

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Network delays can cause the workstation to try to map to the home folder before it completes initializing the network connection during logon. You can also try to disable offline files to see if the issue still exists.

As you mentioned, the users home area are renamed to My Documents, you could refer to the article below to troubleshoot the issue:

When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;947222

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, October 11, 2013 2:15 AM
  • Hi, Thank you for the reply.

I have already disabled offline files as I had that thought as well.

I have now added the redirect to the group policy, I havent had any redirect previously as the PCs are locked down and the C drive cannot be written to by the pupils only their Home areas are writable to which are obviously on the Server.

I will monitor the situation and hopefully we will arrive at a resolution.

Regards

Friday, October 11, 2013 9:38 AM
  • Could this problem be related to the users home area being renamed to My Documents on the server?  If so how do I combat that?

It is just a folder that is named as "My Documents" and it is mapped to the user's computer?

or you're doing folder redirection?

if it is a folder redirection check these registry keys and compare it to those computers without  any issues:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    Name: AppData
    Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Data: %USERPROFILE%\Application Data

Name: Desktop
    Data: %USERPROFILE%\Desktop

Name: Personal
    Data: %USERPROFILE%\My Documents

Name: My Pictures
    Data: %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures

Name: Start Menu
    Data: %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu

and one more thing, if it is also folder redirection you renamed the folder  to "My Documents" did you change the GPO settings also?

• Edited by cguan Friday, October 11, 2013 10:07 AM edit
    Friday, October 11, 2013 10:06 AM
  • Hi not sure if you have read this right or quoted incorrectly, but the pupil home areas are renaming themselves to My Documents or Documents, so inorder to find out whos folder it is you have to drill down and look at the URL.  I have only just set the GP to redirect so will have to give it a few days to see the results.

I will check the Registry keys if nothing changes, thanks.

Friday, October 11, 2013 11:41 AM
  • sorry i had misinterpreted the scenario, quite interesting that map drive is renaming themselves to My Documents.

to be honest, i'm quite confused with your settings.

The home areas are hosted on the server?

And it is mapped to the pupils computers?

Saturday, October 12, 2013 5:55 AM
  • Hi.

1. How did you delete the profile? If you do it using Explorer you will break stuff, you need to do it via GUI or WMI. I have a blog entry about removing the profile correctly.

2. The My Documents part is due to the fact that Explorer puts a desktop.ini file that says display this folder as..

3. If somebody else logs on ont he workstation were it didnt work, does it work for them? ie is it just single users on some workstations?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Even if you are not the author of a thread you can always help others by voting as Helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Oscar Virot

Saturday, October 12, 2013 9:40 AM
  • I don't know what's confusing, the home area is mapped in the AD user account profile tab to use the share and use H as per normal really. Should I be doing it differently with windows 7?
    Sunday, October 13, 2013 8:34 AM
  • I use a mandatory profile for the pupils that is hosted on the DC and the location of it is entered in the profile tab in AD. The profiles are deleted using the GP.
    Sunday, October 13, 2013 8:38 AM
  • My Concern is that if a profile is stuck "broken" im not sure that a new will be downloaded.

If somebody else logs on to the workstation that cannot access H:\ does it work for them? In that case verify that the mandatory profile is removed from the workstation.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Even if you are not the author of a thread you can always help others by voting as Helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Oscar Virot

Sunday, October 13, 2013 1:11 PM
  • I don't know what's confusing, the home area is mapped in the AD user account profile tab to use the share and use H as per normal really. Should I be doing it differently with windows 7?

Okay I have this setup on my environment and so far it's working fine.

On the user profile tab, on the connect option:

Drive letter: z:

To: option is to the users path folder

on my server, i had this shared folder:

users -> main shared folder

users-> under here i got sub folders for users  like user1, user2 etc...

on this kind of setup it works fine for me. 

@HinchbkRob, is this how you do it on your side as well?

• Edited by cguan Monday, October 14, 2013 2:54 AM edit
    Monday, October 14, 2013 2:54 AM
  • Yes that is how I have it set up only i use H for home area as is the norm I believe.  it is really not logical why it should grey the home area out for the user.

Monday, October 14, 2013 6:52 AM
  • not sure about this, but it's better to check.

the clients or the pupil workstation DNS  points to the DC? is there a public DNS set on the DHCP?

Monday, October 14, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Not sure what you want me to check, all the PCs are assigned an IP address by the DHCP server and the DNS records are scavenged weekly, there isnt a public DNS set on the DHCP.
    Monday, October 14, 2013 10:14 AM
  • did you enable this policy in GP?

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer

Description

Prevent users from adding files to the root of their Users Files folder.

and have you tried adding the user explicitly to its shared folder on its home folder?

• Edited by cguan Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:39 AM edit
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:47 AM
  • Hi Sorry, there are loads of options under that GP Key, can you be more specific?

I have checked the permissions on the user home folder and they are as expected.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:56 AM

Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer

Remove Map Network Drive and Disconnect Network Drive

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938892.aspx

I mean the shared folder itself, go to shares and set the user name.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Hi Yes that policy is enabled.
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:57 AM
  • i suppose this policy is also enabled right?

Prevent access to drives from My Computer

Prevents viewing content on selected drives in My Computer, Windows Explorer, and My Network Places. Disables the Run command, theMap Network Drive dialog box, and the Dir command at the command prompt.

if it is enabled it could be the culprit.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:11 AM
  • It is enabled but it is set to restrict C drive only.
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:18 AM
  • i guess you need to take a look  at your GPOs it could be mixed up and has unexpected outputs..

just do the KISS method, just keep it simple ...

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:10 PM
  • I do try and keep it simple, as far as I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, that GPO only stops the pupils mapping their own drives in windows explorer, and accessing the C drive on the local PC?
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:48 PM
  • however I have deleted the profile on the local PC and had the student log on again and still the home area is mapped but grayed out.

How did you remove the profile?

Removed the directory under C:\users or using the GUI?

Oscar Virot

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:16 PM

the description of the  GPO from Technet link i posted above, it says: 

Prevents viewing content on selected drives in My Computer, Windows Explorer, and My Network Places

Disables the Run command, the Map Network Drive dialog box, and the Dir command at the command prompt.

I don't know what's the sequence of your GPO, and how you design it.

let'say you run the GPO above which is: Prevent access to drives from My Computer

And after running this GPO you run another GPO which mapped the drive of user's home folder, in this case there might be some issues on implementing.

Because the first GPO, already prevents the appearing of map network drive and the second GPO is trying to map a new drive.  (not really sure about this just an idea that might cause a problem on your side)

You can use: Group Policy Modelling Wizard to simulate your GPO implementation.

Just curious why you make the life of the pupils so difficult? give them space to breath... :)

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:05 AM