none
Can't use my mouse or keyboard anymore.....

Question

• Starting a couple of days ago my mouse and keyboard stopped working suddenly. Whenever I go into my ASUS UEFI BIOS mode they work fine,  as well as when I'm in startup repair. I guess windows just doesn't recognize both of them whenever I get to the login screen. The only thing that has worked so far is a system restore point,  but did some reason the one I had saved is corrupted now... I'm stuck outside of my pc and can't fix anything without logging in. 

Saturday, August 23, 2014 3:34 PM

Answers

• I have a ps2 port keyboard which works fine when I log in. 

Great!  Does it have a Numeric keypad?  Then you would be all set, just use Mousekeys the way you would normally use your mouse.  Press  LeftAlt+LeftShift+NumLock  to activate Mousekeys.  Toggle it off or on by pressing just NumLock (according to your preference.).   Take note of all the pointer accelerator options Mousekeys provides to reduce some of the tedium of moving your pointer by pressing and holding down keys.

In fact, you could probably manage without using a pointer device at all, making do with just the keyboard but it would be more natural and easier for you to move the pointer with Mousekeys and "click" its buttons (press Numpad 5).

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Dulendri Saturday, August 23, 2014 9:25 PM
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 9:00 PM

All replies

• Starting a couple of days ago my mouse and keyboard stopped working suddenly.  

How are they connected?   In my case they are wireless and their receiver is plugged into my USB hub.  After an update I found the OS inexplicably not recognizing my USB hub and hence any devices which were plugged into it.  My fix was to plug the receiver into a different USB port (so I could use the mouse and keyboard; otherwise I would have had to use the OSK via Touch or pen.)  Once I had normal access into my machine again I used Device Manager to remove all USB controller and hubs (including hidden ones) and I then shut down, disconnected all USB devices and powered back up, this time using only Touch to get going.  Once the OS had settled down I started plugging stuff back in the way that I wanted it to be recognized.  If I didn't have Touch I would have had to have left the wireless receiver plugged in both places which I assume would be OK.  I have no idea why updates have such a catastrophic effect for USB devices.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:18 PM
  • Is USB drivers for your Windows installed properly?
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:22 PM
  • Both are usb and connected directly into the back of my pc.  But the thing is that absolutely no usb devices work properly once windows boots up. What sucks is that I don't have touch for my desktop. And my pc isn't directly connected to my router because I have to use a usb WiFi receiver. I have a ps2 port keyboard which works fine when I log in.  But I have no idea where to go from there. 
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:48 PM
  • I don't know but if you could tell me how to that would be great. I'm pretty new to all this...
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:50 PM
  • I have a ps2 port keyboard which works fine when I log in. 

Great!  Does it have a Numeric keypad?  Then you would be all set, just use Mousekeys the way you would normally use your mouse.  Press  LeftAlt+LeftShift+NumLock  to activate Mousekeys.  Toggle it off or on by pressing just NumLock (according to your preference.).   Take note of all the pointer accelerator options Mousekeys provides to reduce some of the tedium of moving your pointer by pressing and holding down keys.

In fact, you could probably manage without using a pointer device at all, making do with just the keyboard but it would be more natural and easier for you to move the pointer with Mousekeys and "click" its buttons (press Numpad 5).

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Dulendri Saturday, August 23, 2014 9:25 PM
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 9:00 PM
  • Luckily I managed to get the mouse keys working and I found out what the problem was. I deleted the August 15th updates and disabled automatic maintenance as well as automatic windows updates. I'm on my computer that had the problem right now so if someone else has the same problem from this update I could help :). Also thanks Robert for helping/responding if I didn't know about mouse keys earlier I wouldn't have been able to fix this as easily.
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 9:25 PM