none
Migration from Server 2003R2 to Server 2012 Failure!

Question

• Hi All

Hi All

Sorry to post all this in one go! 

work for an IT company that supports schools and I've got the responsibility of replacing two old 2003 servers for 2012 servers. I thought I'd give migration a go. I have been following this video as I've no experience with migrating AD to another DC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG5K6B7hgRU The first server I did using this video went like a dream I literally had no issues what so ever which made me feel extra confident and started this video for the second server. 

It was working fine, AD was populated, all users were there, group policy had migrated .. it was looking really good until I tried to demote the old server. I ended up having to use "dcpromo /forceremoval". Since demotion the server 2012 now says the domain doesn't exist.  Something has gone very very wrong here and I have no idea how to fix it.

The server stays on "please wait" when starting up for ages.

When trying to authorise DHCP i get an error message "DHCP could not contact active directory"

If I enable the second network card and then try to authorise DHCP it picks up a 169.x based IP address, when disabling the second NIC, DHCP sees the server with it's correct static address.

There were other references to other DC's which I've tried to removed all references too but still not luck

I can't open Active directory and when I try to it says "Naming information cannot be located because The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. Contact your system administrator to verify that your domain is properly configured and is currently online" 

When I open Active directory domains and trusts I get "The configuration information describing this enterprise is not available. The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted" 

When I run netdom query fsmo i get "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted." The command failed to complete successfully. 

Any help would be great! Thanks all!

Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

why using migration when adding a new OS DC to the EXISTING domain seems to be enough? Or was a domain rename required?

How many DCs in total do you have now up and running in the old an new environment? Not clear for me.

Please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the existing DC/DNS servers you run now. Also post the used domain name in DNS zones, AD UC, NetBios name and FQDN.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:24 AM
  • Hello

The DC is being replaced because it's very old and end of life.

I have 1 DC up and running at the moment. The old environment had 2 DC's, one is still in use. However I was not told this before migration started.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
    (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : CHEWSERVER
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : CHEWMAGNA-PRI.local
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : CHEWMAGNA-PRI.local

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connectio
    n #2
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-67-52-9E-CD
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connectio
    n
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-67-52-9E-CC
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::85ed:a0f4:5d7f:46b6%12(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.138.155.17(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 251666023
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-19-89-8D-9D-00-1E-67-52-9E-CC

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 127.0.0.1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter isatap.{DCF08B6E-6198-442E-A22C-8B337643FF37}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter isatap.{8719B4F7-ADEE-4166-9416-95FB9EA20A76}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

DNS Zone: CHEWSERVER.CHEWMAGNA-PRI.LOCAL

One thing I forgot to mention is when the old server was demoting, one of the hard drives failed and froze the server

• Edited by Graham_T Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:49 AM
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Hello,

i still have problems to understand your setup. You stated "old environment had 2 DC's, one is still in use" so the DC CHEWSERVER is added as additional DC into an existing domain when promoting it?

Or did you built a NEW domain with the same name CHEWMAGNA-PRI.local as the old one?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:36 AM
  • Hello

Yes one DC is being replaced but the domain name is staying the same hence the migration.

Sorry I'm not explaining it very well. The school has a server for ADMIN (a different domain name) and a server for CURRICULUM (chewmagna-pri.local) The CURRICULUM server is being replaced and the ADMIN server is staying as is. They have two totally separate domains.

So .. I have migrated from the old CURRICULUM server to a brand new CURRICULUM server. However something has gone very wrong during the migration process. The new curriculum server was perfectly fine until I demoted the old curriculum server, now nothing seems to work.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Hi Graham,

Check this (Step-By-Step Instructions with Screenshot)

http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2012/07/30/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2003-or-windows-server-2003-r2-to-windows-server-2012.aspx

Check & compare and understand where you missed and what you missed to perform.

Hope that helps :)

Vikky | "If my reply rendered as answer to you question,kindly click on "Mark as Answer"

Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:23 AM
  • Hello,

AGAIN , please answer my question " so the DC CHEWSERVER is added as additional DC into an existing domain when promoting it?"

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:59 AM
  • Yes it's an existing domain name that's being replaced with a new server
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:38 PM
  • Hello,

we still talking another language.

"existing domain name that's being replaced with a new server"

This means for me that you have installed a NEW forest/domain using the old name on a new computer according to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755059(v=ws.10).aspx

So you have NOT followed the way described in:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733027(v=ws.10).aspx

This is really important so please read them and check the difference!!!

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:49 PM
  • From what I hear you keep saying migrating when you have actually just joined another DC server to the CURRICULUM Domain and demoted the original server. Then you started having DC problems. Is that correct?

Thank you,

Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Vivian Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 05, 2013 2:31 AM
  • Sorry the delay all I've been so busy at work I've not had chance to respond.

I've got it working!

I recovered the original server from a backup I took prior to migration, formatted the new server and re-installed server 2012, then started the migration process over and it worked!

The old server crashed during the demotion process the first time and I diagnosed a failed hard drive. Luckily it was two drives in a RAID 1 mirror so I was able to read the drives in a PC and start over.

The second attempt turned up an issue which was transferring the RID, PDC and infrastructure master roles using active directory which didn't work because the new server didn't propagate to the list so I had to do this manually using the ntdsutil and it worked!

Thanks all for the input

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 9:56 AM