none
Can't uninstall Exchange 2007 because DB files are gone

Question

• ok..I have an SBS 2008 server that lost it's RAID.  so, I restored from backup, but the backup wasn't Exchange enabled, so there are no DB files.  Now, the server is up and running great (system state restored, etc) and Exchange THINKS everything should be fine.   But with no DB, obviously, the IS service won't start/mount.  I've tried, but can't get Exchange to create a new DB (errors with "Unable to make admin interface connection to server").

So, my thought is that I'd remove Exchange completely and reinstall from scratch.  The data is gone, so a new DB is what we're dealing with anyway.  But, I can't uninstall Exchange.  When I try, I am told that I need to disable-mailbox and move the Offline Address book before I can uninstall.  Obviously, I can't do that...I have no mailboxes (other than in Exchange's mind) nor Address books.  I just want Exchange completely removed so I can start from scratch.

Ideas?

Thanks!

• Edited by LysJones Friday, July 19, 2013 7:47 PM
    Friday, July 19, 2013 7:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Well, if the IS service won't start you can't expect it to mount any databases (or create any new ones). Are there any other Exchange services that won't start?

See if the pertains to your situation:

http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000664.htm

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:11 AM
  • Hi there, it's not a direct answer to your question, but one you might want to consider.

Now might be a good time to look at migrating to SBS 2011, If your going to the trouble of uninstalling and reinstalling Exchange 2007, if your budget can goto it the SBS2011 migration might take a little longer, but you will get a clean install of Excange 2010 as part of the migration.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:55 AM
  • Hello,

You can try to remove your exchange server via ADSIEDIT tool.

But there is hardly restore your database if you don't have any backup for your database.

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Saturday, July 20, 2013 8:33 AM
  • Thanks, I will give this a try.  

The main issue here is getting Exchange back up with a new/blank database.  The client understands that their data is gone (bad backups), but I just want to uninstall Exchange and reinstall clean.  There are several Exchange errors that appear to be rights/permissions type issues that I'm sure a clean install will fix.  But I can't uninstall due to the errors asking me to move the mailboxes and all (and, obviously, the mailboxes don't really exist).

Thanks!

jf

Monday, July 22, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Besides saying you have a problem, you really haven't provided any details. If a service won't start there's information in the Application and System event logs.

What's the reason why the Exchange IS service won't start? Is it a dependency on another service? An incorrect authentication? A time difference of more than 5 minutes between the Exchange server and the DC?

"Rights/Permissions type issues" doesn't tell anyone anything useful.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Monday, July 22, 2013 9:54 PM