none
sub report could not be shown in SSRS 2008 R2

Question

• Hi All,

I am getting Error:sub report could not be shown when i view the report from server.I have 3 sub reports in my report.

I have tested different scenarios before coming to this conclusion.

1)I ran each sub report separately in Visual Studio and Report Manager as well and all of them are working fine.

2)i ran main report by removing sub reports..then main report is working fine in VS and Report Manager also.

3)when coming to security i am running as Administrator so..nothing related to security.

Please guide me or suggest me with some solution where i am running wrong..

Thanks,

Sam.

• Edited by Samhith Monday, July 14, 2014 2:29 AM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 2:29 AM

All replies

• Have you passed all the parameters correctly through to the subreport?
    Monday, July 14, 2014 4:01 AM
  • Hi Samhith,

Please do the following steps.

(1) Delete  subreports from main report.

(2) Run the main report .

(3) Add subreports one by one with proper parameters.

(4) Run the report locally.

(5) If it is showing all the data, deploy main report as well as subreports.

(6) Run the report again from server.

Still you are not getting subreport data, delete datasource(not dataset) and create  it again. Run the report again.

Hope this will solve your issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button, if this post solves your issue.

Best Regards,

Dhanisha

Monday, July 14, 2014 4:47 AM
  • Hi ReportCreator,

i have passed all the parameters correctly...but no luck..

Monday, July 14, 2014 5:30 AM
  • Hi ReportCreator,

i have passed all the parameters correctly...but no luck..

Are subreports inside any conatiners in main report? Are there any filters etc used in main report containers which contains subreports?

Please Mark This As Answer if it helps to solve the issue Visakh ---------------------------- http://visakhm.blogspot.com/ https://www.facebook.com/VmBlogs

Monday, July 14, 2014 5:32 AM
  • Hi Dhanisha,

I have followed all the steps as suggested by you and re created data source but no luck.. :(

I t working fine in my local & report manager also..but problem is with the web server where i am running as administrator with full permissions.

i appreciate your effort in providing valuable suggestion...

Thanks,

Samhith.

Monday, July 14, 2014 5:34 AM
  • Hi Visakh,

My main report has oneTablix in which i am using 3 sub reports with different datasets....no filters.

Thanks,

Samhith.

Monday, July 14, 2014 5:38 AM
  • Are all the reports called as subreports inside same folder in report server. Whats the role to which your credentials are mapped in report server?

Please Mark This As Answer if it helps to solve the issue Visakh ---------------------------- http://visakhm.blogspot.com/ https://www.facebook.com/VmBlogs

Monday, July 14, 2014 6:25 AM
  • Hi Visakh,

yes i have called all the sub reports inside same folder and my credentials are mapped to Browser, Content Manager, My Reports, Publisher, Report Builder role...

Thanks,

sam

Monday, July 14, 2014 6:59 AM
  • Hi Samhith,

Following could be the root cause of the issue if this is happening in web server :

ReportViewer not able to find the .rdlc file for the subreport. It is analogous to expected input is not passed to sub report for execution.

Solution:
    1.Add an event handler for the SubreportProcessing event before you call the RefreshReport method and check the result.

2.In some cases, client RDLC in the report viewer will automatically generate the data source control for you so manually set the data source for the report in the event handler process and check.

Hope, this may solve your issue.

Thanks,

Vishal Jharwade

Monday, July 14, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Hi Vishal,

Thanks for your valuable input,unfortunately i am not doing the coding part to display reports..i will design & develop the reports(converting from crystal to SSRS) and will deploy in the server where actual web application is deployed for selection screens for all the reports application...

Thanks,

Sam.

• Edited by Samhith Monday, July 14, 2014 11:50 PM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 11:49 PM
  • Hi Samhith,

Generally, the error “Error: Subreport could not be shown” always occurs when the parameters are not passed from the main report to the subreport correctly or there are errors in the subreport.

Based on your description, each subreport execute successfully. So the issue can be caused by the parameters. Please double check the parameters setting of each subreport control in the main report. Make sure the data types are the same between the parameters, and the values passed to the subreport parameters are valid.

The following tutorial about how to use subreport in Reporting Services is for your reference:
    http://www.katieandemil.com/ssrs-create-subreport-with-parameter-example-tutorial-ssrs-2008-r2?tab=article

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:03 AM
  • Hi Katherine,

Thanks for your post,i have redesigned report with only one parameter and tested...it is working perfectly in local & report manager but not in web server...loosing my confidence because of this.. i don't know what to do at this stage...

Thank you all for your valuable solutions & suggestions and each one of you are right in general scenario..but mine is looking like a special case....

Thanks,

Sam.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:25 AM
  • What is the type of the parameter?  And is it one where you can select multiple values?
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:06 PM
  • What do you mean web server?  Isn't the report manager the web server?
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:06 PM