none
Log on to: textbox is gray-out in the logon screen in windows xp

Question

• Log on to:  textbox is gray-out in the logon screen in windows xp after joined to domain controller.

When I try to log on to windows xp local user account the Log on to:  textbox is not gray-out, however if a type the domain controller user account in the username textbox the Log on to:  textbox is gray-out again but I can log on to the domain.

Regard,

Thanks.

Sunday, September 01, 2013 6:50 PM

Answers

• When you have typed in username as domain\ is the same as selecting domain from dropdown and Log on to: is greyed out which is normal and expected.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, September 01, 2013 10:13 PM
  • When you have typed in username as domain\ is the same as selecting domain from dropdown and Log on to: is greyed out which is normal and expected.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Dave is right, and I you can even use the form like that ;

Username: username@domain

Password: <password>

Domain: ComputerName

Even if the computer name is wrote, Windows will use the domain login.

Thanks

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 1:28 AM
  • This one may help.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa380525(v=vs.85).aspx

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:49 AM

All replies

• That's normal and expected behavior. What problem does this cause?

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, September 01, 2013 8:23 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Really that's normal, I remember before the  Log on to:  textbox never gray-out I have the option to choose domain / local computer account.

Thanks.

Sunday, September 01, 2013 9:47 PM

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, September 01, 2013 10:13 PM
  • How you are trying to Login? Provide the screen shot.

Devaraj G | Technical solution architect

Monday, September 02, 2013 10:42 AM

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Dave is right, and I you can even use the form like that ;

Password: <password>

Domain: ComputerName

Even if the computer name is wrote, Windows will use the domain login.

Thanks

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 1:28 AM
  • Hi Dave, I am sorry you are right I just didn't pay attention on the Log on to: textbox after typing Domain\. I mean I always select the Log on to: textbox before type the Domain username account, but this time I just directly typed the Domain username account into the username textbox and saw the Log on to: textbox gray-out. Again sorry for my mistake. Regard, Thanks.
    Wednesday, September 04, 2013 5:48 PM
  • Hi Yagmoth,

Thanks for the extra information.

Regard.

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Hi Dave,

But what are the differences between log in with:

or

Username: domain\username

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 5:55 PM
  • No problem, you're welcome.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:46 AM
  • This one may help.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa380525(v=vs.85).aspx

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:49 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Is weird that for local user account doesn't use User Principal Name only available for domain computers.

Thanks.

Thursday, September 05, 2013 3:05 AM