none
How to get sql server version using sql server browser service

Question

• Hi All,

I have a question, how to get sql server version using sql server browser service. please help me.

looking forward to you reply.

Regards,

Tina

Friday, August 23, 2013 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hello Tina,

The SQL Server Browser provides detailed information about the installed SQL Server via UDP broadcast. There are already solution available to get them in an easy way, for example with SMO = Server Management Objects.

Here is a PowerShell script to query all available SQL Server in your network; but of course you need permissions to query detailed information's.

MS TechNet Script Center: Create Inventory of SQL Server in Network as Html

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by James-Carter Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:33 PM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:19 AM
  • Hello,

What did you means by  "get sql server version using sql server browser service"? If you want to get the SQL Server version infromation, you can refer to the following methods:
    1:Connect to the server by using Object Explorer in SQL Server Management Studio
    2:T-SQL :SELECT @@Version
    3:Use the Installed SQL Server Features Discovery report from Installation Center
    For more information,please refer to KB321185

The SQL Server Browser program runs as a Windows service. SQL Server Browser listens for incoming requests for Microsoft SQL Server resources and provides information about SQL Server instances installed on the computer by reads the registry. You can refer to the section "How SQL Server Browser" of the following article.
    Reference:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181087(v=sql.105).aspx

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621 Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:41 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by James-Carter Saturday, August 24, 2013 4:09 PM
    Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hello,

What did you means by  "get sql server version using sql server browser service"? If you want to get the SQL Server version infromation, you can refer to the following methods:
    1:Connect to the server by using Object Explorer in SQL Server Management Studio
    2:T-SQL :SELECT @@Version
    3:Use the Installed SQL Server Features Discovery report from Installation Center
    For more information,please refer to KB321185

The SQL Server Browser program runs as a Windows service. SQL Server Browser listens for incoming requests for Microsoft SQL Server resources and provides information about SQL Server instances installed on the computer by reads the registry. You can refer to the section "How SQL Server Browser" of the following article.
    Reference:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181087(v=sql.105).aspx

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621 Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:41 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by James-Carter Saturday, August 24, 2013 4:09 PM
    Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:37 AM
  • Dear Fanny,

Thank you for your time. :)

There are many SQL Server database in our company's local network. And there are

different versions of SQLServer database (such SQL Server 2000, SQL Server 2005, SQL

Server 2008...). I want to use SQL Server Browser Services to get the version of the SQL

Server database instance.

I do not want to use T-SQL: SELECT @@version. Because there are too many SQL Server

database instance.

Please help me.

Have a great day !

Saturday, August 24, 2013 12:01 PM
  • Hello Tina,

The SQL Server Browser provides detailed information about the installed SQL Server via UDP broadcast. There are already solution available to get them in an easy way, for example with SMO = Server Management Objects.

Here is a PowerShell script to query all available SQL Server in your network; but of course you need permissions to query detailed information's.

MS TechNet Script Center: Create Inventory of SQL Server in Network as Html

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:19 AM
  • Hi Olaf & Fanny,

Thank you for your help. I have solved this issue.

Have a great day.

Tina

Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:36 PM