none
MDT: Problems installing .NET 4.0 silently on Windows 7

Question

• I am using MDT to deploy Windows 7 Professional x64 and a handfull of programs.

But my .NET 4.0 deployment is problematic!
    It either stalls or asks for EULA. I would prefer a silent install that works!

dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe
    INSTALLS, but asks for EULA

dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /q /norestart
    FAILS (STALLS), 2 CPU seconds of process time after one hour

dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /q /norestart /ChainingPackage ADMINDEPLOYMENT
    FAILS (STALLS), 2 CPU seconds of process time after one hour

dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /ChainingPackage ADMINDEPLOYMENT
    INSTALLS, but asks for EULA

What could cause this problem?
    Can I find a LOG to give me a hint?

Can it be because the /q option just hides the install, INCLUDING the EULA?? It's kinda tricky to confirm a EULA you cannot see ;-)

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:24 AM

Answers

• This works for me:

Starting a .BAT file from the MDT.
    The .BAT file contains:

You can do a little extra like:
    TITLE Installing .NET 4
    ECHO Installing .NET 4...please wait

• Marked as answer by SwiftDK Friday, July 22, 2011 8:03 AM
    Friday, July 22, 2011 8:03 AM
  • Hi SwiftDK,

I was having the same issue with my Windows 7 x64 build. It appears to be related to the way the installer hands off control with the /ChainingPackage switch. Unfortunately the ADMINDEPLOYMENT seems to be specific to a deployment through SCCM. So even though one would assume it would work the same through MDT it doesn't.

Well, whatever it is doing under the covers the solution is to put a buffer between the task sequencer and the .NET Framework installer. I accomplished this by making a .cmd file that contained:

As Johan indicates you could be more advanced with MDT and write a vbscript with the highly recommended MDT task sequence framework (Johan did an excellent job in his script). You could also accomplish this by creating a .bat file. I've used Johan's .wsf (worked), my own .vbs (worked), my own .bat (worked), and my own .cmd (worked). The only time it hangs is if I call the .NET installer directly using the MDT task sequencer.

Friday, July 08, 2011 6:20 PM

All replies

• Swift,

That's odd, I've got mine installing with:

dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /q

which runs silently without pausing or prompting.

I know this isn't an answer but I wanted you to know that someone else has got it to work.

Logging info: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/varungupta/archive/2010/06/22/troubleshooting-net-framework-4-install-failures.aspx

Good Luck.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:34 AM
  • I run it with /q /norestart

If you download the YAHK – Yet Another Hydration Kit – This one for ConfigMgr 2012 Beta 2 you will even find a vbscript wrapper for .NET Framework 4.0 that you can add as an application to MDT. The wrapper includes logging, additional error handling and will remove the streams check for downloaded files (which otherwise breakks the app install). The wrapper is named Install-NetFramework40.wsf.

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Blog/tabid/62/EntryId/29/YAHK-Yet-Another-Hydration-Kit-This-one-for-ConfigMgr-2012-Beta-2.aspx

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Hi SwiftDK,

I was having the same issue with my Windows 7 x64 build. It appears to be related to the way the installer hands off control with the /ChainingPackage switch. Unfortunately the ADMINDEPLOYMENT seems to be specific to a deployment through SCCM. So even though one would assume it would work the same through MDT it doesn't.

Well, whatever it is doing under the covers the solution is to put a buffer between the task sequencer and the .NET Framework installer. I accomplished this by making a .cmd file that contained:

As Johan indicates you could be more advanced with MDT and write a vbscript with the highly recommended MDT task sequence framework (Johan did an excellent job in his script). You could also accomplish this by creating a .bat file. I've used Johan's .wsf (worked), my own .vbs (worked), my own .bat (worked), and my own .cmd (worked). The only time it hangs is if I call the .NET installer directly using the MDT task sequencer.

Friday, July 08, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Hi SwiftDK,

Thought i'll post up my method, which seems to work, for me.

This is the command line i'm using: dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /passive /norestart

The command will show install process but no user interaction needed.

Friday, July 22, 2011 1:12 AM
  • This works for me:

Starting a .BAT file from the MDT.
    The .BAT file contains:

You can do a little extra like:
    TITLE Installing .NET 4
    ECHO Installing .NET 4...please wait

Friday, July 22, 2011 8:03 AM
  • Yes, it works with the Command Line

dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /passive /norestart

No need to make a script.

Thanks Beelieu

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:30 AM
  • Yes, when installing with MDT "something" fails. But by making a BAT file - it takes MDT one step further away from the .EXE file, and then it works!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Same problem for me, just comfirming that if you change to 

dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /passive /norestart

it works as expected.

Rob

Rob
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:14 AM
  • Some offtopic information that may be useful for software developers, that are experiencing the stall behavior as described, when trying to install .NET Framework 4.0 through /q or /x switch. If you redirect STDOUT or STDERR to your own input streams make sure that STDOUT and STDERR streams are read while process is being executed - if you try to read the whole output when process exits the extraction part of the installer will be bricked because as STDOUT/STDERR gets blocked. So extraction routine stops at some file in the middle and it will never finish.

Saturday, June 09, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Running already extracted setup;

The best way to do this is to first extract the file (using winrar or 7zip). In the extracted folder, you will find a "Setup.exe" file. The command:

setup.exe /q /x86 /x64

will hide the installer

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 2:09 PM
  • les dejo otra posible opcion para encontrar los switches correctos para cierta aplicacion .

http://blogs.itpro.es/octaviordz/2012/07/10/aplicaciones-desatendidas/

Freelance-IT http://blogs.itpro.es/octaviordz

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 6:05 PM
  • This worked like a charm for me as I was having the same issue. I was originally trying to use "dotnetfx45_full_x86_x64.exe" /qb /norestart" and used the "/qb" to allow me to select the EULA manually and continue but could never get it to work silently until now.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:00 PM
  • I can confirm, unpacking and using setup.exe /q work 100%

Many thanks to that user..

Friday, April 19, 2013 6:36 PM
  • Hi Friends,

With the help of your whole conversation of this thread, i got the information that how to install .Net framework silently. Thanks for this.

I am using following command-line for silently install '.Net 4.0 (client)'

[ dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /q /norestart ]

but i am facing one problem,

When i am installing myapplication in normal machine (a machine in which i never install my Application before) then it install .NET 4.0 with myapplication.

but,

When i am installing my application on Clean/Fresh machine (a machine in which i never install my Application before)

then it install .NET 4.0 silently successfully but after installing .NET 4.0, it restart/log-off machine instead of complete the application installation.

Can you please tell me, how this happens?

Thanks in Advance.

Monday, April 22, 2013 1:40 PM