none
How do I setup " Empty the Deleted Items folder when I sign out " in Outlook Web App for all mailboxes

Question

• Hi All,

We are running on Exchange 2010 with Service Pack 3. There are around 1000 users who access their mailbox only through Outlook Web App and they don't use any other email clients to access their emails. Would like to enable the option - " Empty the Deleted Items folder when I sign out " for all mailboxes to clear their deleted items folders when they sign out.

How do we enable this feature for all these mailboxes centrally?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 12:49 PM

Answers

• Rather than using this setting, you could turn on retention for the Deleted Items folder using a default policy tag for that specific folder.
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Hi All,

We are running on Exchange 2010 with Service Pack 3. There are around 1000 users who access their mailbox only through Outlook Web App and they don't use any other email clients to access their emails. Would like to enable the option - " Empty the Deleted Items folder when I sign out " for all mailboxes to clear their deleted items folders when they sign out.

Thanks

You can do that with the cmdlet Set-MailboxMessageConfiguration

Example:
    Get-mailbox | Set-MailboxMessageConfiguration -EmptyDeletedItemsOnLogoff $True

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by PRAVAR Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:16 AM
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:18 AM

All replies

• I don't believe this option exists natively for the Outlook Web App, only for the Outlook client software.
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 1:03 PM
  • @ty72182

Please have a look at outlook web app - option before you post.  This option is very much available with OWA. For your reference.

http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/bb899521.aspx

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Sorry, I read your question to mean you wanted a "prompt" to show up similar to Outlook asking if the user if they wanted to empty their items (which is what my post was referencing).  You are looking for just an automatic emptying of deleted items at sign off without any user notification or intervention/action, correct?

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 3:47 PM
  • Rather than using this setting, you could turn on retention for the Deleted Items folder using a default policy tag for that specific folder.
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Thank you.
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks

You can do that with the cmdlet Set-MailboxMessageConfiguration

Example:
    Get-mailbox | Set-MailboxMessageConfiguration -EmptyDeletedItemsOnLogoff $True

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by PRAVAR Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:16 AM
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:18 AM
  • Thank you, Martina and Willard
    Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:16 AM