none
What I miss in BizTalk ... (3rd part)

General discussion

• 1st part is here. 2nd part is here I've split it to make simpler to read.

Write a feature in this topic you want to be in the BizTalk Server. 
    Please, try your best to be as clear as possible. Use examples to show details.
    Please, place only one feature in one post. 
    If you want to discuss a post, please, copy it in a new separate post.

Template is:

• What I miss in BizTalk: <...>
    • What can be done to fix it: <...>
    • Do I think it is an easy fix? <1(easy)..10(hard)> <Comments...>

Readers of this topic, please, Vote As Helpful for the posts you also needed.

==================================================

Summary of the 1st and 2nd parts:

>100  missed features

Thank all of you who participate!!!!!!

Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] BizTalk: the Naming Conventions in Examples

Thursday, July 04, 2013 4:30 PM

All replies

• What I miss in BizTalk: It's the behavior in the Oracle Adapter. When I use composite operation calling two consecutive insert, If "UseOracleConnectionPool" is not switched on, it will get the well known error, "ORA-08002 Sequence not yet defined in this session". I didn't  know the reason why use connection pool. 

What can be done to fix it: not fix. 

Do I think it is an easy fix? 7-8 Still not fix it. Really Lost..

Molly,
    Please Mark as the Answer, if this answers your question. Please vote as helpful, if this post is helpful.

Monday, July 08, 2013 9:07 AM
    • What I miss in BizTalk: Dynamic send port: the Retry Count and Retry Interval options in the Admin Console
      I cannot see any problems with enabling the Retry parameters in the port Properties with Admin Console. This gives us a simple way to tune up the ports in the production environment. Now those parameters should be coded in the Orchestration or pipeline. I usually make them configurable and store them in SSO of config file and this adds an unnecessary concern with dynamic port configuration.
    • What can be done to fix it: Implement it.
    • Do I think it is an easy fix? 1. It is easy. There should not be any change is the existed code base. It is a small independent addition.

Monday, July 08, 2013 4:32 PM
  • What I miss in BizTalk: I would really like for there to be a way to programatically initialize a correlation set in an orchestration without sending or receiving a message, possibly without a message at all (manually setting context properties based on variables or hard coded variables).  Currently the only way to activate a correlation set is upon a message receipt or a message send, and can only be based on context properties that exist on the received or sent message which can impose a limit on flexibility.

What can be done to fit it: Expose a programmatic means of initializing correlation.  Maybe something like - corrSet1.Add("ReceivePortName", http://schemas.microsoft.com/BizTalk/2003/system-properties, "ReceivePort1"); corrSet1.Add("CustomContextProperty1", "CustomNamespace1", "A value"); corrSet1.Activate;

Do I think it is an easy fix?  5.  This really depends how correlation is implemented under the hood.  Would of course require a whole new level of testing by Microsoft.

How could this be useful?

• You're creating long running orchestrations and want to be able to activate a constant correlation set in all of them so you can send control messages to them.  For example if you want to have all your long running orchestrations write their activating message to the file system and shut down so you can do a deployment if you want to avoid side by side versioning.
    • You want to initialize a correlation set based on a lookup of a value in the activating message.  However the lookup was done within the orchestration using BRE/SSO/.Net class and you really don't want to have to create a message and send it out of your orchestration to initialize a correlation set which forces an unnecessary persistence point and you've got to do something with the sent message.
    • You want to initialize a correlation set based on a value within a message however the element isn't promoted to a context property and you are not allowed to modify the schema.

• Edited by Johann Cooper Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:35 PM More details.
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:47 PM
    • What I miss in BizTalk: The BizTalk databases might be installed with recommended "DB Growth" parameters.
      For example, MVB always complains like this "LOG Db Growth for BizTalkMgmtDb Not recomended to use percentage (Current =10%,Def=10%) - Recommended for this Db=10240 KB !" Why databases are installed with wrong settings?
    • What can be done to fix it: change the installation parameter values.
    • Do I think it is an easy fix? 1 Super easy.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:17 PM
    • What I miss in BizTalk: The BizTalk SQL jobs (Backup BizTalk Server and DTA Purge and Archive),  might be installed with predefined "location of backup files" parameter.
      It could be the folder with log files or it could be subfolder on the same level with log files or something else.
    • What can be done to fix it: change the installation parameters.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:23 PM
    • What I miss in BizTalk: The BizTalk SQL "Backup BizTalk Server" job (the "Clear Backup History" step) does not actually delete the backup files which is pretty dangerous! I can see it again and again in production environments, when BizTalk stopped with disk full error.
      The backup file removal should be set up by default.
    • What can be done to fix it: Sandro Pereira has also implemented this (see here)! It could be just used in the standard job.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:36 PM
    • What I miss in BizTalk: Erroneous warnings in Orchestration Editor.
      If we use a variable only as a parameter to call another orchestration, we've got a warning 
      "<orchestrationFileName.odx(<line, character>): warning X4004: '<VariableName>' is initialized but its value is never used"
      If we delete this variable, as this warning suggested (It is not used, so we'd rather remove it, right?), it raises an error, because this parameter is used as a calling parameter.
      It is not a big deal, but it always annoying to get this misleading warning.
    • What can be done to fix it: Modify the orchestration compiler.
    • Do I think it is an easy fix? 2-6

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 9:45 PM
    • What I miss in BizTalk: Option like "Enable routing for failed messages" but for Orchestrations, in case of exceptions in Orchestrations.
      New parameter for Orchstration, the "Enable routing for exceptions" with check boxes for the Resumable and Not Resumable.
      Now we get the orchestration instance suspended in case of exception. It is hard to automate the error handling for suspended orchestrations.

One way is, in case of exception, to store all orchestration variables and messages into some sort of "Orchestration status message". something as ESB Toolkit can do. Then we can handle this exception like we are doing now for the port faults.
      It opens many interesting error handling scenarios. For example: Enable routing for exceptions for NonResumable, which ends with error emails; exceptions for Resumable - with fixing and resubmitting an original message.
    • What can be done to fix it: maybe this additional functionality will not change the existed code.
    • Do I think it is an easy fix? 4-6

Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:57 PM