none
Merge Replication Problem - could not access row data at the 'Subscriber'

    Question

  • I've got a problem where a push merge replication stopped working. The setup has 3 servers, A-B-C. Server-A is the publisher while B&C are the subscribers.

    A&B are both 2008R2 servers and the replication between them is working well. SERVERA is on SP2 (10.50.4000.0), but no CUs applied

    Server C is still on SQL Server 2000 (SP4 - 8.00.2039).

    About a week ago the replication between A&C would suddenly stop after running well for a few years. Enabling the -output logging from the Agent gives me:

    .......

    2013-12-21 07:38:47.737 Enumerating inserts and updates in article 'TABELA' (generation batch 1)
    2013-12-21 07:38:47.737 OLE DB Distributor 'SERVERA': {call sys.sp_MSadd_merge_history90 (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)}
    2013-12-21 07:38:47.800 Percent Complete: 0
    2013-12-21 07:38:47.815 Enumerating inserts and updates in article 'TABELB' (generation batch 1)
    2013-12-21 07:38:47.815 OLE DB Distributor 'SERVERA': {call sys.sp_MSadd_merge_history90 (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)}
    2013-12-21 07:38:47.925 Percent Complete: 0
    2013-12-21 07:38:47.925 The merge process could not access row data at the 'Subscriber'. When troubleshooting, restart the synchronization with verbose history logging and specify an output file to write to, or run the SQL Profiler utility to identify the source of the failure.Enumerating inserts and updates in article 'TABELC' (generation batch 1)
    2013-12-21 07:38:47.925 
    2013-12-21 07:38:47.940 OLE DB Distributor 'SERVERA': {call sys.sp_MSadd_merge_history90 (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)}
    2013-12-21 07:38:47.972 The merge process could not retrieve column information for table 'TABELD'. Verify that you have sufficient privileges on the database and retry the operation.The merge process could not retrieve column information for table 'TABELC'. Verify that you have sufficient privileges on the database and retry the operation.
    2013-12-21 07:38:47.972 
    2013-12-21 07:38:47.987 Percent Complete: 0
    2013-12-21 07:38:47.987 No data needed to be merged.
    2013-12-21 07:38:47.987 OLE DB Distributor 'SERVERA': {call sys.sp_MSadd_merge_history90 (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)}
    2013-12-21 07:38:47.987 Percent Complete: 0
    2013-12-21 07:38:48.003 The merge process could not access row data at the 'Subscriber'. When troubleshooting, restart the synchronization with verbose history logging and specify an output file to write to, or run the SQL Profiler utility to identify the source of the failure.

    ......

    This is the output with verbose logging on and we're not using web replication . Both machines are in the same domain and the account the Sql Server Agent is running under has been assigned to the sysadmin and serveradmin roles.

    Running the profiler against the subscriber (C) I can see that the Agent is running some SPs; exec sp_MSenumcolumns exec sp_MSgetmetadatabatch  and sp_MSgetonerow, but I see nothing special about the log.

    The only odd thing I see in this setup is that in SSMS the subscription is listed twice on SERVERC under the Local Subscription node. 

      

    Any suggestions on where to go next? 


    Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:12 AM

Answers

  • I ended up deleting the subscription, manually syncing the data and re-creating the subscription. 

    Thursday, December 26, 2013 7:41 AM

All replies

  • Hello,

    Did you modify the Replication table on the Publisher, for example, added or changed a filter on the table?
    If a filter is added or changed after subscriptions have been initialized, you must generate an updated snapshot at the publisher and reinitialized subscribers.

    Reference:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151775.aspx

    Regards,
    Fanny Liu


    Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

    Monday, December 23, 2013 7:24 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi

    Thank you for your suggestion. From what I know nothing has changed in the replication settings. Besides that should have broken replication to both SERVERB and SERVERC and not just SERVERC 

    Regards

    Espen

    Monday, December 23, 2013 9:03 AM
  • I ended up deleting the subscription, manually syncing the data and re-creating the subscription. 

    Thursday, December 26, 2013 7:41 AM