none
Unable to perform windows update manually - Windows servers - Error 80240437

Question

• When I run windows update manually from control panel and click check for updates, I am getting below erro.

'Windows couldnot search for new updates. There was a problem checking for new updates.

Error code 80240437'

I tried solution in this blog http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_rt-windows_store/windows-store-apps-wont-update-or-install/6e27becd-b835-4bc7-8195-f400ab64bbeb

But no hope. We are not using WSUS in our environment. Also this is happening in most domain joined machines

Saturday, February 22, 2014 6:48 AM

Answers

• Hi pratjay,

Before going further, would you please let me know this issue occurred in client computer or server? And please let me know operation system information.

Based on current situation, please refer to the following suggestions and check if can help you to solve this issue.

1. Please temporarily disable firewall and antivirus program to monitor if this issue still exists.
    2. Refer to the KB (How do I reset Windows Update components?) and reset Windows Update components. Then check this issue.
    3. Use the System File Checker tool (sfc /scannow command) to scan and repair missing or corrupted system files. For more details, please refer to this KB.
    4. Run the System Update Readiness tool or the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool (For Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and later), then please check if can help you to solve this issue. For more details, please refer to the KB.

In addition, if this issue was occurred in Windows Server 2008 R2 and later, please navigate to Control Panel and select Troubleshooting icon. In Troubleshooting panel, under System and Security, please click Fix problems with Windows Update and check if this issue can be solved.

If this issue still persists, please go to Event Viewer and check if you can find some clues that may help us to go further analysis.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:05 AM
  • Did you try this solution?:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_update/cant-use-my-windows-update-error-code-80240437/dda84a53-4840-4acb-96b2-493847aba241

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:14 AM

All replies

• Hi pratjay,

Before going further, would you please let me know this issue occurred in client computer or server? And please let me know operation system information.

Based on current situation, please refer to the following suggestions and check if can help you to solve this issue.

1. Please temporarily disable firewall and antivirus program to monitor if this issue still exists.
    2. Refer to the KB (How do I reset Windows Update components?) and reset Windows Update components. Then check this issue.
    3. Use the System File Checker tool (sfc /scannow command) to scan and repair missing or corrupted system files. For more details, please refer to this KB.
    4. Run the System Update Readiness tool or the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool (For Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and later), then please check if can help you to solve this issue. For more details, please refer to the KB.

In addition, if this issue was occurred in Windows Server 2008 R2 and later, please navigate to Control Panel and select Troubleshooting icon. In Troubleshooting panel, under System and Security, please click Fix problems with Windows Update and check if this issue can be solved.

If this issue still persists, please go to Event Viewer and check if you can find some clues that may help us to go further analysis.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:05 AM
  • Did you try this solution?:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_update/cant-use-my-windows-update-error-code-80240437/dda84a53-4840-4acb-96b2-493847aba241

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:14 AM