none
Windows Server 2008 R2 without DHCP

Question

• I apologize as being new to the forum if I ask something which has been answered.

I am running following setup at home: D-Link DIR-655 router, Proliant N36L as a server, three wired desktop and two wireless laptops. I am trying to setup AD at home part as a function for four users, part as a learning experience. Server has static IP from the router and no issues there. I get warnings from DNS and AD, that it cannot connect to the domain (karelpro.local) - not sure why, but the service is running.

My question is, whether I have to use the DHCP role to serve IP addresses to clients, or if I could use the router to server IP addresses. The reason I use the router DHCP is to server IP addresses to the laptops. I was told that Windows Server for the AD does not need DHCP to function properly, but I cannot connect to the domain with my laptop - still has to try the wired computer.

Any advise is appreciated.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 2:53 PM

Answers

• A domain controller should never have a dynamically assigned IP address.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:52 PM

All replies

• It shouldn't be a problem but just make sure the static addresses you're using are outside of scope of DHCP service set on router.

Also post unedited ipconfig /all of server and problem client may help.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:50 PM
  • Hi, as long as you are assigning the ip address of your domain controller as dns server to your clients via the dlink dhcp server it should be no issues.

Microsoft Certified Trainer
    MCSE: Desktop, Server, Private Cloud, Messaging
    Blog: http://365lab.net

• Edited by Johan Dahlbom Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:54 PM Typo
    Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:40 PM
  • A domain controller should never have a dynamically assigned IP address.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:52 PM
  • Dave, completely true.(unless you are using Azure IAAS :-)) What i meant was that as long as he is assigning the domain controller as dns via the dlink router he should be fine joining the domain even if not using windows dhcp.

Sometimes you should not write on the phone.

Microsoft Certified Trainer
    MCSE: Desktop, Server, Private Cloud, Messaging
    Blog: http://365lab.net

Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:56 PM
  • 1. For test environment it is fine to use router for wireless access. I would recommend to reserve IP address to MAC. Server should use static address for multiple reasons. If number of desktops is small use static IP too.

2. For enterprise network I would recommend to avoid this configuration and use DHCP that is authorized in AD.

Regards

Milos

Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:19 PM
  • You can use the router DHCP, but for AD to work, you MUST use the server as a DNS server for both the server itself and the clients. So I would suggest you to

1) assign a static IP address (outside the DHCP scope) for the server, and set its own address as a DNS server in network settings

2) configure the router to give the clients your server's IP address as a DNS server

3) make sure that there are no other DNS servers defined for the clients and they all use dynamic IP settings

You obviously need to keep your server on to access Internet from the clients after doing this. But that's how it goes in an AD environment.

Tero Leskinen - MVP (Windows Server for Small and Medium Business / SBS)

Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:25 PM