none
Windows 2003 DC server not giving out correct DHCP IP addresses for a particular site within domain

Question

• Our Windows 2003 Domain controller is giving out wrong IP range addresses for certain users. Not everyone is affected just a 3 or 4 users.

When they log onto the network it gives them a 192.168.1.X address instead of a 192.168.5.X address. I have checked they havent got a static IP and asked them to reboot but still no joy. I have checked the DHCP service and that is running and it has a scope of 192.168.5.100 to 192.168.5.150.

Any ideas why only a couple of users are being forced to use a 192.168.1.X address? I have assigned them a static IP to get around the issue but its not ideal going forward.

Any help or pointers would be great.

Thanks

Adam

Friday, January 03, 2014 9:15 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I would like to tell you one thing; there is no any connection between domain controllers for giving IP address to user computer. DHCP Service is responsible for providing IP address to all. Have you installed DHCP server in Domain controller. If yes; then it’s not recommended.

Solution:

You’re facing problem in only 3 to 4 computer, which means there is no problem with your DHCP server. I am assuming your all problematic computers are connected with LAN only. Then Kindly check problematic computer Network cables are connected in which port of Manageable switch. Once you find the port then check those ports are belong to which VLan. If that all problematic computers ports belong to 192.168.5.X or 192.168.1 VLan.

I am sure you will find the solution in VLan configuration only.

Deepak Kotian.

MCP, MCTS, MCITP Exchange 2010 Ent. Administrator

Disclaimer: Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!

All the opinions expressed here is mine. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, January 03, 2014 10:08 AM
  • Hi,

Anything updates?

I agree with Adam. Just to add, please also make sure that no other DHCP server exsits providing 192.168.1.X.

In addition, you can run "ipconfig/release" and  "ipconfig/renew' at the command prompt to see if those uses can get the right IP addresses. If the issue persists, please use Network Monitor to capture related packets for analysis.

Best regards,

Susie

Monday, January 06, 2014 7:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I would like to tell you one thing; there is no any connection between domain controllers for giving IP address to user computer. DHCP Service is responsible for providing IP address to all. Have you installed DHCP server in Domain controller. If yes; then it’s not recommended.

Solution:

You’re facing problem in only 3 to 4 computer, which means there is no problem with your DHCP server. I am assuming your all problematic computers are connected with LAN only. Then Kindly check problematic computer Network cables are connected in which port of Manageable switch. Once you find the port then check those ports are belong to which VLan. If that all problematic computers ports belong to 192.168.5.X or 192.168.1 VLan.

I am sure you will find the solution in VLan configuration only.

Deepak Kotian.

Disclaimer: Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!

All the opinions expressed here is mine. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, January 03, 2014 10:08 AM
  • Hi,

Anything updates?

I agree with Adam. Just to add, please also make sure that no other DHCP server exsits providing 192.168.1.X.

In addition, you can run "ipconfig/release" and  "ipconfig/renew' at the command prompt to see if those uses can get the right IP addresses. If the issue persists, please use Network Monitor to capture related packets for analysis.

Best regards,

Susie

Monday, January 06, 2014 7:00 AM
  • Any Update?

Deepak Kotian.

Monday, January 06, 2014 9:20 AM