none
GPO not applying to individual users

Question

• Hi All,
    I have approx. 1200 users over four AD sites. Each site has its own proxy server. Over the weekend we upgraded to our new proxy servers and I changed the GPO's to reflect the new servers. My problem is that approx. 40 users are still using the old proxy servers (we left them on for just this situation). When I run RSOP or gpresult the results come back with the new IP address of the new Proxy Servers. However when I look at the users settings in IE they have the old IP addresses listed.
    The users are in many different OU's and their peers have picked up the new addresses. I have done gpupdate /force and complete reboot of the problem users PCs to no avail. I have also Enforced the relevant GPO
    I can manually change the settings and they will stick but I would really like to find out why this is happening and solve it enmasse.
    The AD servers are 2003, all clients are Win7 (a mix of x32 and x64), and the Proxy Servers are running Win 2008 R2
    Monday, July 15, 2013 2:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Matthias,

Thanks for clearing that up and I will remember it for the future. However I resolved my problem by changing the setting at Computer Configuration|Administrative Templates|System|Group Policy|Internet Explorer Maintenance policy processing. I set this to Enabled and then enabled the "Process even if the Group Policy objects have not changed" setting.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

are the affected machine using IE10 ?
    are you using classic GPO (IEM) or are you using GPP ?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Monday, July 15, 2013 2:14 AM add question
    Monday, July 15, 2013 2:13 AM
  • Hi Don,

Thanks for prompt reply.

We are using IE8 and IE9 (due to a restriction in a core web based app add-on).

We are using classic GPO (User Configuration|Windows Setting|Internet Explorer Maintenance|Connection|Proxy Settings

Monday, July 15, 2013 2:38 AM
  • Hello,

We are using classic GPO (User Configuration|Windows Setting|Internet Explorer Maintenance|Connection|Proxy Settings

Please try to use GPP Internet Settings.

IEM should still work on those systems, anyway IEM is outdated and not supported by
    any new OS and IE version.

MVP Group Policy - Mythen, Insiderinfos und Troubleshooting zum Thema GPOs: Let's go, use GPO!

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Hi Matthias,

I took my guidance from this MS article (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg699429.aspx) which states that you cannot use GPP to configure settings in IE9 (I have assumed that also applies to IE8 as an older browser). Is this article incorrect? We use the Guidewire add-on and it does not run on IE10, hence we are stuck with IE8 and 9.

Monday, July 15, 2013 5:36 PM
  • Hello,

You can configure GPP Internet Settings for IE 9.

The easiest way to do this, use the GPMC from Windows 8 or Server 2012.

Or you can:
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2011/03/how-to-enable-group-policy-preferences-support-for-ie9/

MVP Group Policy - Mythen, Insiderinfos und Troubleshooting zum Thema GPOs: Let's go, use GPO!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:19 AM
  • Hi Matthias,

Thanks for clearing that up and I will remember it for the future. However I resolved my problem by changing the setting at Computer Configuration|Administrative Templates|System|Group Policy|Internet Explorer Maintenance policy processing. I set this to Enabled and then enabled the "Process even if the Group Policy objects have not changed" setting.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:26 AM
  • Sounds good.

But just as a note:

IEM has some bugs.
    Try to get rid of IEM.

Here is the official MS replacement list:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj890998.aspx

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:00 PM