none
Remote desktop issues for MAC and IOS Clients

Question

• Hi, so I have anywhere access working just fine now with my Windows clients.

While Mac clients can access the website of the server for remote access (so files and email links) I cannot for the life of me get remote desktop working.

I have the Remote Desktop Client 8.0.3

I am getting an error saying it is requiring a fully qualified domain name for the client (which it has), but I have no joy :(

Can anyone help me here please...???

I also cant get this to work for the IOS client...

Monday, February 03, 2014 7:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Cory, the two things to do to make this work is this: (this is in the Microsoft Remote Desktop iOS App)

configure the gateway manually as whatever your external address is..eg remote.contorso.com

then add your server/desktop you want to remote into as 'PCNAME.domain.local' this is the important thing!

you must put the FQDN of the PC you want to connect to :)

also make sure the connect uses the gateway you just configured.

Then it should work perfect!

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:02 AM
  • The requirement for an RDS CAL us per the EULA/PUR - i dont particularly agree with it (it is a silly clause) and they have not actually said where you should install the RDS CALs when you get them.

However we have had it confirmed that an RDS CAL is required whenever you hit the RDP Gateway directly (ie when not using the RWA)

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:58 PM

All replies

• Im not sure the error quite reflects the problem.

AFAIK the rdp portion of the RWA site is only supported on a PC.

To use a MAC or iOS client you will need an App that supports RDP Gatway - and an RDS CAL.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Monday, February 03, 2014 9:57 AM
  • OK so I have worked this out and its all working!!! YAY!

There are many issues at Microsofts end as to how the RDP file is created on the mac when you click on the computer you want to connect with in Anywhere access webpage.

No RDS CALs needed nor should there be!

I have both IOS and MAC RDP clients working like a dream!

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 7:11 AM
  • What did you have to do? I have an issue with the Microsoft RDP app 8.03 on an IPad IOS version 7.04 with resources. It is able to log in and display the published apps on the gateway server but when trying to start an app it receives the fully-qualified domain name or try the IP message. This is only on the IPad. Version 8.03 the Android 8.03 version works correctly, as well the Mac OS Microsoft 8.03 version or with a PC. My gateway server is 2008 SP2.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:10 PM
  • Hi Cory, the two things to do to make this work is this: (this is in the Microsoft Remote Desktop iOS App)

configure the gateway manually as whatever your external address is..eg remote.contorso.com

then add your server/desktop you want to remote into as 'PCNAME.domain.local' this is the important thing!

you must put the FQDN of the PC you want to connect to :)

also make sure the connect uses the gateway you just configured.

Then it should work perfect!

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:02 AM
  • The requirement for an RDS CAL us per the EULA/PUR - i dont particularly agree with it (it is a silly clause) and they have not actually said where you should install the RDS CALs when you get them.

However we have had it confirmed that an RDS CAL is required whenever you hit the RDP Gateway directly (ie when not using the RWA)

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:58 PM
  • Well when the RWA method starts to work, I'll use that. in the mean time this current solution is working just fine ;)
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:37 PM
  • That works fine to do a full remote desktop, and that has worked. But unfortunately that isn't what I'm trying to do. I am trying to use the Resources portion of the app that logs into the TS Gateway website and shows the list of published remote apps on the gateway server. The app does not have a setting for the gateway server for resources as this is handled in the gateway server to provide the gateway settings whenever a user attempts to connected to a published app.

My goal is to have users being able to use remote apps on our network like Word and Excel from the Resources without logging into a fully blown desktop experience and only present them with the application itself.

I was wrong though with the versions of the app. The IPad version is 8.03 and receives the fully qualified domain name errors, but the MAC and Android versions are 8.04 and work properly. I assume this is a bug in the version of the IPad app and assume it will be resolved in version 8.04 when ever it becomes available for the IPad.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:30 PM
  • You need to buil an actual RDS deployment in that case.

Essentials has a RDP Gateway Deployment on it, but it is hidden from the GUI. So you would need to install the required rolse, like RD Web Access etc. But you need to have an RDS Host behind the Essentials Server that has the RemoteApps on it.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Friday, February 28, 2014 10:57 AM