none
"Powermaps needs more resources to complete this operation" error. 2 datasets <100 rows. one tour. two layers

Question

• I'm working on some BI mashups to demo the powerbi offerings to potential clients, but I get close to 20+ crashes a day relating to memory issues

I'm utilising powerquery to import and filter data from 2 rss feeds. Each are at most 100 rows. I then add these to a powerpivot model & have two powerview reports over this.

I've added a powermap to the solution but find the reliability to be very poor. If it does manage to work the colours of the bubbles and bars sometimes don't match the defined colours or they're black (a telltale sign of memory problems in windows). This usually breaks the whole excel 'process' and I can't save the workbook. I get "workbook not saved" errors or that "there was a problem saving with all the features added. Click continue and save as a different file"

either that or i get a hard crash like I did while writing this post:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    EXCEL.EXE
      Application Version:    15.0.4535.1507
      Application Timestamp:    52282875
      Fault Module Name:    KERNELBASE.dll
      Fault Module Version:    6.1.7601.18229
      Fault Module Timestamp:    51fb1116
      Exception Code:    e0434f4d
      Exception Offset:    0000c41f
      OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    3081

Additional information about the problem:
      LCID:    1033
      skulcid:    1033

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Memory amount is not a problem according to resource manager; excel process taking ~500mb and 70% free ram. I left memtest86+ running overnight and it found no errors in 8 passes so it looks like my sticks are ok. I have sql server 2008r2 & 2012 along with all the bells (db engine, ssis, ssas) installed and that never gives me hard memory failures even when I drive it hard. Obviously if i try to process a data model that's too big it gives me out of mem errors but that's expected and it doesn't crash SSDT or the SSAS\Tabular instance. The services are off while I'm doing the excel powerbi work.

laptop specs are :

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Other OS Description     Not Available
    OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
    System Model    XPS L521X
    System Type    x64-based PC
    Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3612QM CPU @ 2.10GHz, 2101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date    Dell Inc. A15, 1/08/2013
    SMBIOS Version    2.7
    Windows Directory    C:\Windows
    System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale    Australia
    Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
    Time Zone    Cen. Australia Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory    7.88 GB
    Available Physical Memory    5.67 GB
    Total Virtual Memory    15.9 GB
    Available Virtual Memory    13.6 GB
    Page File Space    8.00 GB
    Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

I can upload the workbook too if desired

I dont solely blame powermaps, rendering the powerview reports is pretty hit and miss in all the workbooks i've developed before as well, but clicking the Maps button in excel is certainly the biggest gamble

Jakub @ Adelaide, Australia

Friday, January 17, 2014 12:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Jakub,

I can think of two changes you can make that can help.

1. You don't mention what architecture your office version is. I would suggest you use 64 bit Excel. It has a higher memory threshold and performs much better when using a lot of memory.

2. Install all of the latest CU updates for Office. There has been dozens of bug fixes for PowerPivot and Power View since the last release.

You mention you can share the workbook. Feel free to send to me at bradsy@removemicrosoft.com and I would be willing to take a look and see if the crashes are known issues or already fixed.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

• Marked as answer by jakubk Monday, January 27, 2014 2:54 AM
    Friday, January 17, 2014 6:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Jakub,

I can think of two changes you can make that can help.

1. You don't mention what architecture your office version is. I would suggest you use 64 bit Excel. It has a higher memory threshold and performs much better when using a lot of memory.

2. Install all of the latest CU updates for Office. There has been dozens of bug fixes for PowerPivot and Power View since the last release.

You mention you can share the workbook. Feel free to send to me at bradsy@removemicrosoft.com and I would be willing to take a look and see if the crashes are known issues or already fixed.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

• Marked as answer by jakubk Monday, January 27, 2014 2:54 AM
    Friday, January 17, 2014 6:21 PM
  • Thanks brad, i'll send through the workbook on monday

It's 32bit but resource monitor doesn't show the excel process getting near 1gb let alone 2 but i'll look into running a VM on the machine and installing w7 + 64bit excel on that to see how that goes.

I also have automatic updates for all ms installs turned on on the machine, so at this point it time it looks like i'm up to date (unless there's some other place to make sure I have the latest version of the PowerBI tools?)

Sunday, January 19, 2014 2:31 AM
  • Hi Jakub,

I think you will find that 64-bit performs much better. There is more to it than just the 2 gig memory limit, such as the graphics resources. I run out of resources creating a video on 32-bit with Excel at 327 MB memory usage, but the same video completes without issues on 64-bit.

Thanks,
    Anita Oakley

Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:17 PM
  • Thanks both, especially brad for taking a look at the workbook and verifying it was memory pressure I'll switch over to 64bit office and see how I go

Monday, January 27, 2014 2:56 AM