none
Server 2012 R2 Standard

Question

• I have 2012 R2 Standard which will be joined to an existing domain. However for some reason Windows Server essentials experience role is installed! This has not been configured and cannot be removed. Do I ignore and continue or wipe and start again? This is 2012 R2 Standard and not essentials!
    Monday, February 24, 2014 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Pookie1980,

Based on your description, did you mean Windows Server Essentials Experience role has been installed on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard?

We should be cognizant of a fact. If an Active Directory domain does not exist, installing the Windows Server Essentials Experience role on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard will create an Active Directory domain, and the server will become the domain controller at the root of the forest and domain, holding all the FSMO roles. So, if have installed Windows Server Essentials Experience role on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, you can’t ignore and add it to an existing domain. It seems that you need to add this server to the domain firstly, and then install Windows Server Essentials Experience role on the server.

Please refer to the following article. It will provide more detailed operations.

Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter with Windows Server Essentials Experience role in an Existing Active Directory Environment

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Pookie1980,

Based on your description, did you mean Windows Server Essentials Experience role has been installed on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard?

We should be cognizant of a fact. If an Active Directory domain does not exist, installing the Windows Server Essentials Experience role on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard will create an Active Directory domain, and the server will become the domain controller at the root of the forest and domain, holding all the FSMO roles. So, if have installed Windows Server Essentials Experience role on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, you can’t ignore and add it to an existing domain. It seems that you need to add this server to the domain firstly, and then install Windows Server Essentials Experience role on the server.

Please refer to the following article. It will provide more detailed operations.

Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter with Windows Server Essentials Experience role in an Existing Active Directory Environment

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:33 AM
  • Thank you Justin.

I performed a re-install and so far so good. Thankfully the site is delayed and not yet ready for the unit. I tried to set up windows backup which triggered to wizard for server essentials. I'm holding off doing anything further to the server until I have joined to the existing domain. Thanks again for the reply Justin

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 10:03 AM