none
PC won't obtain IP-address

Question

• A Windows XP client was configured with a fixed IP-address. I thought it would be more elegant to create a reservation in DHCP instead of configuring a fixed IP-address on the machine itself. So I configured the pc to obtain the IP-address from the server, but it won't... After a while, it reports 'limited or no network access'. When configured with a static IP-address, it logs on to the network without problems. I tried several things to resolve this (without any luck):

• Installed new network driver
    • Disabled Norman virusscanners services
    • Disabled Firewall
    • Removed and added PC from/to domain
    • IPCONFIG /renew / release etc.
    • Netsh int ip reset
    • Netsh winsock reset catalog
    • Disable Norman virusscan network protocol

How can I fix this?

Simon

Monday, November 21, 2011 1:27 PM

Answers

• This morning, I updated the firmware of the Dell PowerConnect 5524 switch.

It also solved this problem. Initially, it seemed like some more PC's weren't able to obtain an IP address after installing the firmware upgrade, but a couple of hours later, all machines were able to get their IP address from the DHCP server.

Simon

• Marked as answer by Simon Weel Thursday, November 24, 2011 12:52 PM
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 12:52 PM

All replies

• What server is providing DHCP services here? An SBS server perhaps?

Is this the only computer that doesn't get a DHCP lease/reservation, others too , or what?

Assuming the DHCP server service is running and properly configured as well.

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 5:13 PM
  • The DHCP server is a Windows SBS 2011 box. Of the 15 clients (4 Win 7, 11 XP), only two XP machines won't obtain an IP-address, the rest works okay. They both were configured with a static IP-address when we switched from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011.

Simon

• Edited by Simon Weel Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:19 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:19 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Thank you for your post.

1. Check the network connectivity,  ping and tracert SBS ip address,
    2. Change the client computer name and re-join the domain

If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,
    Rick Tan

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 9:00 AM
  • when you set the client to DHCP, does it get an IP address in the range you expect?

'IPConfig /all' from the client, when set to DHCP, may be helpful.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 9:37 AM
  • When setting the client to DHCP, it gets a bogus IP-address in the end. Like I said - when configuring a static IP-address, things work fine, so there's no network connectivity issue.

This morning, I updated the firmware of the Dell PowerConnect 5524 switch. This resolved another problem - slow network speed. Unfortunately, after the update, a couple of more XP machines won't obtain an IP-address. So I configured them with a static IP-address and then they work fine. Looks like there may be something with the switch configuration, although you would expect ALL xp machines to suffer the same problem...

Simon

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:07 AM
  • I take it 'bogus' means APIPA (169.etc).

I'd actually be looking at the sever NICs and Advanced Networking Pack features (TOE, RSS, etc...).

It's possibly only exhibiting on this machine (and now one other) because they are also trying to implement ANP features, and disabling them at the client may resolve the issue.

I'm not sure whether the SBS11 BPA picks up such things, might be worth looking at. The BPA for earlier versions detected such and pointed to advice to turn it off.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:24 AM
  • This morning, I updated the firmware of the Dell PowerConnect 5524 switch.

It also solved this problem. Initially, it seemed like some more PC's weren't able to obtain an IP address after installing the firmware upgrade, but a couple of hours later, all machines were able to get their IP address from the DHCP server.

Simon

• Marked as answer by Simon Weel Thursday, November 24, 2011 12:52 PM
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 12:52 PM