none
Ethernet connection drops and reconnect constantly

Question

• I have two Dell R310 servers with identical setups. All working fine until a couple days ago. I had to install a new gateway but forgot that one of my manage switch was on 192.168.1.254 and ended up assigning the new gateway to the same address. It wasn't long before I noticed the conflict so I managed to fixed the problem.. Did something similar to the second site with identical setup and now both servers (2008 R2) is giving me the error below every minute

Broadcom BCM5716C: The network link is down.  Check to make sure the network cable is properly connected. Then seconds later event viewer would say it's back up. 

My RDP session when also connect and reconnect. watching the network icon, I can see it disconnecting and reconnecting rapidly. 

I did the obvious and uninstall both instances of the ethernet port and let the system reinstall the ports on its own. Still no go, I swapped ethernet ports and still the same problem. It doesn't appear to be a hardware issue. Any other suggestions? 

Danny

Saturday, November 09, 2013 9:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my experience, the RDP randomly reconnect may be caused by multiple reasons. I recommend you enable keep-alive connection interval to see if it is due to a router inactivity timeout.

In addition, please make sure the switch you are attached to is set to the same Duplex level as your NIC.

If the issue persists, please update your network adapter driver or install a new one to have a try.

Best regards,

Susie

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my experience, the RDP randomly reconnect may be caused by multiple reasons. I recommend you enable keep-alive connection interval to see if it is due to a router inactivity timeout.

In addition, please make sure the switch you are attached to is set to the same Duplex level as your NIC.

If the issue persists, please update your network adapter driver or install a new one to have a try.

Best regards,

Susie

I did all that, still no luck

Danny

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Hi

Firmware update the server and validate if the switch is good. (test it with another equipment on the same port)

If nothing work, and you are sure the switch is good, call Dell support to get a new motherboard or network card if it's not onboard.

Regards, Philippe

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:36 AM
  • thanks for the response everyone, discovered that one of the switch was having issue. Replaced both and problemgone. 

Danny

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Hi,

Good to hear that and thanks for your feedback.

Have a good time!

Best regards,

Susie

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:01 AM