none
Technet Subscription Question

Question

• Hello I am not sure if this is the correct section, but if not please move as needed.

I am considering purchasing a technet subscription but I have a few questions. I am wanting to be clear as to what is and isn't "ok" before I move forward with making said purchase.

I own two PC's in my home (for day to day personal use, email, web surfing, some gaming). I am wondering if I sign up for technet if its okay (or within the rules) to install two versions of Windows 7 (for example home premium, and ultimate) on my own two personal home pcs. I keep reading that the software is for evaulation purposes only, so I dont know if that translates to "use this only from time to time" or if it more loosely means "dont use this at your business on everyones pc" (the later I can understand completely, and agree with).

I just want to see what I can, and can't do, and if I can't if theres a way to get two versions (or keys) for a lesser discounted price. I think the technet deal is great, but again, I don't want to venture into an area thats going to get me into hot water. I've read that you supposidly get 10 keys or 10 activations or something, but I cant find any credible source stating if its okay to "evaluate" two different versions of said software (in this case, windows 7) and if it can be on two different systems in my very own home.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:18 PM

Answers

• Raeldude,

Technet Subscriptions are meant for IT Professionals (i.e. people in corporate environments who manage PC's) to evaluate software BEFORE actually PURCHASING the software. The reason they remove the typical limit of Windows evaluation versions is because we need to test the OS for compatibility with our corporate applications, which could take months with different fixes for that OS, etc. While the EULA allows the software to be installed on Home machines, It is not meant as a service as many have been lead to believe through other sites or friends as a "Full versions of everything microsoft for a yearly fee".

Portion of Technet EULA:

b.

Certain Components.

Evaluation Software. One user may install and use copies of the evaluation software listed in the COMPONENTS.TXT file, even if you obtained a server license. You may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating, in a staging environment or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up. If the evaluation software comes with its own license agreement, this agreement will control. If that other license agreement gives you additional rights that do not conflict with express limitations in this agreement, you also have those rights.

"You may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating..."

This basically says NO USE except for TESTING, as Technet was designed for, and to be used for.

So to answer your question in basic terms, for what you want, No, it is not allowed. You need to purchase retail copies of Windows 7 for your PCs. If you have 2 or 3, a Family 3 Pack would offer a discount. If you need help with it, feel free to contact me at azchrisf@gmail.com

FYI.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:29 AM

All replies

• Raeldude,

Technet Subscriptions are meant for IT Professionals (i.e. people in corporate environments who manage PC's) to evaluate software BEFORE actually PURCHASING the software. The reason they remove the typical limit of Windows evaluation versions is because we need to test the OS for compatibility with our corporate applications, which could take months with different fixes for that OS, etc. While the EULA allows the software to be installed on Home machines, It is not meant as a service as many have been lead to believe through other sites or friends as a "Full versions of everything microsoft for a yearly fee".

Portion of Technet EULA:

b.

Certain Components.

Evaluation Software. One user may install and use copies of the evaluation software listed in the COMPONENTS.TXT file, even if you obtained a server license. You may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating, in a staging environment or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up. If the evaluation software comes with its own license agreement, this agreement will control. If that other license agreement gives you additional rights that do not conflict with express limitations in this agreement, you also have those rights.

"You may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating..."

This basically says NO USE except for TESTING, as Technet was designed for, and to be used for.

So to answer your question in basic terms, for what you want, No, it is not allowed. You need to purchase retail copies of Windows 7 for your PCs. If you have 2 or 3, a Family 3 Pack would offer a discount. If you need help with it, feel free to contact me at azchrisf@gmail.com

FYI.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:29 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in my response, but thats very good answer Chris.    Thanks for providing it.

Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Friday, November 13, 2009 9:57 PM