none
Mail flow stops once ForeFront for Exchange is installed

Question

• Hi,

I have tried installing ForeFront Security for Exchange twice now and I have had the same problem both times.

I have Exchange 2007 SP1 on Windows 2003 R2 in a single-server topology (mailbox, transport, CAS) in a coexistent environment with an Exchange 2003 box, which will be retired once the transition to Exchange 2007 is complete.

When installing ForeFront I have kept the defaults (although I changed the install path to drive "E:\ForeFront" on the second attempt). Once installed ForeFront "appears" to be fine (looking through the ForeFront management console), but mail ceases to flow on the Exchange 2007 server.

All messages get "stuck" in the Submission queue.

I get the following two messages in the Event Viewer:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: MSExchange Extensibility
    Event Category: MExRuntime
    Event ID: 1050
    Date:  5/26/2008
    Time:  4:12:09 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: 2007SERVER
    Description:
    The execution time of agent 'FSE Routing Agent' exceeded 300000 (milliseconds) while handling event 'OnSubmittedMessage'. This is an unusual amount of time for an agent to process a single event. However, Transport will continue processing this message.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: FSCTransportScanner
    Event Category: Scan Error
    Event ID: 5021
    Date:  5/26/2008
    Time:  4:07:09 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: 2007SERVER
    Description:
    Unable to retrieve internet monitor interface.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance for any support you can offer.

Simon

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 9:01 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Is this a Hub Transport Server?  If so, you may want to look at this KB article, if you haven't already:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934286/en-us

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 2:24 PM
  • Thank you, Dennis, for your speedy and 100% correct answer. That's exactly what it was!

Interestingly, in the general Exchange TechNet group one of the troubelshooting steps I was asked to perform related to an entirely different issue was to change the Hub Transport service to run as Local System.

Thanks so much!

Simon

Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:24 PM
  • Hi Dennis,

I have the same issue (Event ID: 1050), but my environment is:

Server B:
    Exchange 2007 SP2 Update Rollup 2
    Roles: Hub Transport / CAS / Mailbox

Server A:
    Exchange 2007 SP2 Update Rollup 2 / Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server
    Roles: Edge

All messages get "stuck" in the Submission queue on Server A and the event id 1050 is logged on this server.

Can you help me?

Thank you!

Daniel

Daniel Gonzalez
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Wow. Thank you, Dennis! This save me hours of troubleshooting. It seems like a security patch applied last week did some changes, but this has fixed the issue.
    • Proposed as answer by grayray14 Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:39 AM
    Monday, April 12, 2010 2:37 PM
  • What a hell of software Eset NOD32 is !!!!! we wasted 5 hours checking , at the end we uninstalled NOD32 (knowing that it had exception on EXCHANGE CAS/HUB) whereas the second CAS had no exceptions under ESET NOD32 and it worked ok. It seems that the "GENIUS PEOPLE" from ESET have released 21/9/2012 that f....d everything up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:45 AM
  • Thank you Dennis
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:36 AM