none
The unattend answer file contains an invalid product key

Question

• Hello:

I am using MDT 2010 trying to deploy Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit.  We have our KMS server up and running just for a little background.  I keep getting the error during the build process:

The unattend answer file contains an invalid product key.  Either remove the invalid key or provide a valid product key in the unattend answer file to proceed with windows installation.

I tried the following:

opened up my deployment work bench
    - choose the task sequence with the required WIM
    - Selected Edit Unattend xml
    - Expanded Components
                   - 1 windowsPE
                   - amd64_micrsoft-Winows-Setup_netural
                   - User Data
                     -Product Key

- Then Right Clicked on the Key string and choose  "Write Empty String"

Thanks for the help. 

• Edited by Glaxam Monday, January 25, 2010 10:22 PM replaced x86 with amd64
    Monday, January 25, 2010 10:20 PM

Answers

• Finally figured it out.  Here is what I did to resolve the issue in MDT 2010:

1. Open up Deployment Workbench
    2. Expand Task Sequences
    3. Right click on Windows 7 Task Sequence
    4. Select Properties
    5. Click OS Info tab
    6. Click Edit Unattend.xml

Under the Answer File Section expand:

- Components
      - 1 windowsPE
        - amd_64_Microsoft-Windows-Setup_neutral
          - UserData
            - ProductKey (highlight ProductKey)

On the right-hand pane, you will see ProductKey Properties.  Under Settings, right click on "Key" and uncheck "Write Empty String".

Then expand:

- 4 specialize
        - amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral (highlight it)

On the right hand-pane, you will see Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup Properties.  Under Settings, right click on "ProductKey" and uncheck "Write Empty String".

Save Answer File

This removed the product key steps from unattend.xml and gave me a successful build.  Hope this helps.

NOTE: From my original post, I had "Write Empty String" checked, which is the default, when creating the task sequence.

Have a nice day!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:32 PM

All replies

• Can you check under C:\Windows\debug and C:\Windows\System32\unattend for more detailed logging?
    http://nicosienaert.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:49 PM

1. Open up Deployment Workbench
    2. Expand Task Sequences
    3. Right click on Windows 7 Task Sequence
    4. Select Properties
    5. Click OS Info tab
    6. Click Edit Unattend.xml

Under the Answer File Section expand:

- Components
      - 1 windowsPE
        - amd_64_Microsoft-Windows-Setup_neutral
          - UserData
            - ProductKey (highlight ProductKey)

On the right-hand pane, you will see ProductKey Properties.  Under Settings, right click on "Key" and uncheck "Write Empty String".

Then expand:

- 4 specialize
        - amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral (highlight it)

On the right hand-pane, you will see Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup Properties.  Under Settings, right click on "ProductKey" and uncheck "Write Empty String".

Save Answer File

This removed the product key steps from unattend.xml and gave me a successful build.  Hope this helps.

NOTE: From my original post, I had "Write Empty String" checked, which is the default, when creating the task sequence.

Have a nice day!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:32 PM

Thanks for taking the time to circle back & upate the post! I haven't used AIK in ages and when trying to re-familiarize myself with the process I ran across this problem.

Friday, May 25, 2012 7:30 PM
  • See this article on the "proper" way to fix this error and still include a key in the autounattend.xml.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2009/10/05/invalid-product-key-error-specifying-mak-key-in-unattend-xml.aspx

Friday, December 28, 2012 8:53 PM