none
DPM 2012 R2 and Hyper-V 2012 R2

Question

• We are planning to upgrade our Hyper-V 2012 cluster to R2. What is required for DPM 2012 in order to protect its virtual servers (host-level backups)?

/Amir

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM 2012 R2 fully supports protecting Windows 2012 R2 hyper-V server clusters.  No special requirements.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 5:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM 2012 R2 fully supports protecting Windows 2012 R2 hyper-V server clusters.  No special requirements.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 5:28 AM
  • This is quite funny because we made a test yesterday with protecting a VM from DPM 2012 R2, and we got a fully working recovery point out of that attempt. However, on the Monitor tab -> Detail -> Affected area it says \offline\server_name for any of the virtual servers I choose to protect. I first thought this was the "new" name for Child partition vs. Saved State, but the "offline" status is the same for any VM, whether they are online or not.

/Amir

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

You are correct, the caption has changed from backup using child partition or saved state to online and offline respectfully.  This is determined by the Windows Hyper-V writer on the host at time of protection.  You can view the current caption by running the following command on the Hyper-V host(s)

C:\>DiskShadow.exe

Diskshadow >  List writers

In the output - look for the Hyper-V Writer section and each guest will have a caption - this is what DPM uses for description at the time of protection - that can change but the DPM UI will always show the caption state at the time of protection.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Thank you Mike!

/Amir

Thursday, November 07, 2013 2:41 PM
  • You need to update the Integration Components on the guest VMs before it will switch to Online.
    Friday, November 08, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Need to ask you this as I can see you're a MS employee. From DPM 2012 R2 on there's apparently no support for guest level backups on Windows Server 2003 systems any longer. I guess this messes up the situation for a lot of companies, so my question is if Microsoft's Product team is planning to release a QFE in order to bring back the W2K3 support in DPM 2012 R2?

Thanks.

/Amir

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 12:06 PM