none
Excel 2013 Standalone - Power Pivot Plug-in not visible or available for activation

Question

• Dear Microsoft Team

According to your blog, the Excel 2013 standalone SKUs have now been updated to include Power Pivot and Power View.  (follow this link: http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/archive/2013/02/27/unable-to-use-excel-2010-powerpivot-workbooks-in-excel-2013.aspx)

I've just bought Excel 2013 standalone (non-commercial, SKU AAA-01350) from the MS Store and cannot see either Power Pivot or Power View among the list of the COM Add-ins available. The corresponding sections don't appear in the Excel ribbon.

Are you aware of any glitches in the Office 2013 installation logic that might have caused such a problem? My PC runs Windows 8 (32-bit), with both Office 2010 and Excel 2013 Standalone installed.

Thanks

Svviss

Monday, August 26, 2013 6:37 PM

Answers

• Here's the info we got from the Excel folks:

“Microsoft has found an issue with the August release of Excel 2013. This issue will cause the Power View and Power Pivot add-ins to not be able to load in Excel Retail Standalone 32- and 64-bit. This issue will be addressed as part of the Excel 2013 September update.”

-Ron

• Marked as answer by Svviss Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:55 PM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 5:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Svviss,

You also have to have this update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817425. Let us know if it works for you.

Thanks,

-Ron

Monday, August 26, 2013 8:12 PM
  • Hi Ron

Thanks for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, that didn't make much difference. I had a dialog shown to me reading the following:

Update for Microsoft Excel 2013 (KB2817425): There are no products affected by this package installed on this system.

I've since done some digging around and there seem to be other accounts of the newly updated Excel 2013 Standalone not installing Power Pivot. Here is the link (scroll all the way down, to the most recent comments):

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2013/08/power-pivot-power-view-now-available-in-2013/

Any other ideas or workarounds?

Thanks,

Svviss

Monday, August 26, 2013 8:41 PM
  • Dear Microsoft Team

I do need your brainpower to get this Power Pivot no-show sorted pronto. I'd tried a full repair of my installation of Excel 2013 Standalone and applying the KB2817425 update for Excel 2013 (see above) - both to no effect.

As I mentioned before, my PC runs Windows 8 (32-bit) with Office 2010 - and now Excel 2013 Standalone - installed. I'd like to figure out what needs to be done to have both Power Pivot and Power View set up properly.

Any unorthodox recipes involving registry editing are fine as long as I could get there.

Thanks

Svviss

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience while we tracked down the cause. We weren't aware that there was a slight delay in releasing the update to the retail versions until late yesterday. They will come out with the next public update.

Regards,
    Anita Oakley

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Thanks, Anita

Great to hear that the cause has now been tracked down. Could you give an indication as to when the next public update that you mentioned is going to be available?

Best regards,

Svviss

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Here's the info we got from the Excel folks:

“Microsoft has found an issue with the August release of Excel 2013. This issue will cause the Power View and Power Pivot add-ins to not be able to load in Excel Retail Standalone 32- and 64-bit. This issue will be addressed as part of the Excel 2013 September update.”

-Ron

• Marked as answer by Svviss Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:55 PM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 5:53 PM
  • Thanks for this update, Ron. That's it then - answered.

Regards,

Svviss

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:51 PM
  • I had previously installed Office 2013 Home and Business.  Upgraded to Office Pro and the add-in still does not appear.  I attempted to install the patch mentioned however Excel claimed everything was up to date.  Any other ideas to get Power Pivot or Power Query installed?
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 3:13 PM