none
Can access web apps, but not Exchange connection

Question

• I recently moved my mail server to a datacenter for better bandwidth, but now I can't access it with Outlook.

I can open the webpage remote.blah.com/owa to check email, remote desktop, and blah.com website, but I can't connect to Exchange in Outlook. It will just sit there for a like 10-15 seconds when I "check name" with not responding, and finally comes up with:

"The name cannot be resolved. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavilable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

What needs to be setup so that you can externally access an Exchange 2007 server via a domain name (blah.com) running on SBS 2008 via Outlook? 

I'm using a self-signed certificate and had no trouble accessing it locally with blahcomserver.local address.  But can't with blah.com.

Email is working with it.  Just can't connect to it.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:26 AM

Answers

• RPC over HTTP was enabled, Outlook Anywhere was enabled.  I then followed ran some kind of microsoft tool to fix DNS issues, and it caused about 1000 errors then after running DCDiag.exe, compared to the 1 or 2 it had before.

It also broke my network sharing out of the second network port, causing me to have to drive 90 minutes to the server.

I decided I'd let google run my mail server and use Windows 7 to run the basic website and other server functions. 

Feel like I wasted $750 on SBS.  It's junk.

None-the-less, thanks for trying to help me guys.  I felt like it was so close, but then that dang "fix" broke everything and I didn't have time to restore from complete backup.
    • Edited by SpyderCanopus Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by SpyderCanopus Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:53 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:50 AM

All replies

• Are you going over the WAN to the data center or a private line?

Is the box already configured for RPC over HTTPS?

Can you ping the exchange server by its host name?

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:20 PM
  • Hi,

i think it would be a good idea to use the folllowing Webapplication http://testexchangeconnectivity.com in order to get a report on that issue. If you provide us with the result it would be more efficient in solving the probllem.

Thanks a lot in advance.

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:28 PM
  • James:
    Yes it is trying to connect over WAN.  I had no issues connecting via LAN, but now it's offsite.

Also, it can be pinged remotely, but I'm not sure if it's configured for RPC over HTTPS.  I can access owa and remote desktop remotely, but not exchange.

Peddy:
    I tried to run the Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP) test and it came up with a few errors.  Although I wasn't exactly sure what it was asking for in the "Domain\User Name (or UPN):", field, so I put the email address, matt@blah.com where "blah.com" is the domain name that points to the IP (I changed the name for privacy, but it ran the test with the correct domain).  I also have autodiscover.blah.com, mail.blah.com, remote.blah.com all pointed to the same IP as www.blah.com and blah.com.

The copy/paste of the test result was too long, so I uploaded it to this website, which is not the one having the issue: 

Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP): http://www.byteusa.com/RPC.pdf
    Outlook Autodiscover: http://www.byteusa.com/Outlook_Autodiscover.pdf

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:49 PM
  • If you have not configured the box for outlook anywhere (RPC over HTTPS) that is the issue.

You should be able to enable this via the EMC on the box. You are using SBS 2008 correct?

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Yes i'm running SBS 2008.  I guess I haven't configured it properly.  Is there a KB on it?

I was looking for issues and this looks like it could be related, from the detailed network report.  It has 180 occurences.  Next only to the other NETLOGON error (below) with 48 errors.  The server has only been over there a day:

NETLOGON 5774 1/17/2012 11:04:03 AM 180
    Event Details:
    The dynamic registration of the DNS record ''gc._msdcs.blahcom.local. 600 IN A 192.168.0.1'' failed on the following DNS server: DNS server IP address: :: Returned Response Code (RCODE): 0 Returned Status Code: 0 For computers and users to locate this domain controller, this record must be registered in DNS. USER ACTION Determine what might have caused this failure, resolve the problem, and initiate registration of the DNS records by the domain controller. To determine what might have caused this failure, run DCDiag.exe. To learn more about DCDiag.exe, see Help and Support Center. To initiate registration of the DNS records by this domain controller, run ''nltest.exe /dsregdns'' from the command prompt on the domain controller or restart Net Logon service. Or, you can manually add this record to DNS, but it is not recommended. ADDITIONAL DATA Error Value: DNS name does not exist.

NETLOGON 5775 1/17/2012 10:42:44 AM 48
    Event Details:
    The dynamic deletion of the DNS record ''gc._msdcs.blahcom.local. 600 IN A 10.1.10.11'' failed on the following DNS server: DNS server IP address: :: Returned Response Code (RCODE): 0 Returned Status Code: 0 USER ACTION To prevent remote computers from connecting unnecessarily to the domain controller, delete the record manually or troubleshoot the failure to dynamically delete the record. To learn more about debugging DNS, see Help and Support Center. ADDITIONAL DATA Error Value: DNS name does not exist.

It's local IP is 10.1.10.10
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:18 PM
  • Hi,

Ok, there are serveral errors.

First of all there is a certificate error. I think you use a self signed certificate.

The other erro is a missing autodiscover entry in DNS.

So if you are working within your LAN i think you use a local DNS Server whereas if you are working outside and using a WAN connection you use an other DNS Server whith doen´´t resolve the autodiscover entry.

I would suggest to install a real certificate like the ones from godaddy.com or some other certification authories.

After that please configure the autodiscoverentries in DNS which are listet in the report. Or if only using Outllok 2010 use the autodiscover SRV Record

_autodiscover._tcp.<domain> SRV Record TPC 443 and reference this to the DNS Name of your CAS Server.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:24 PM
  • I'm ok with a self signed certificate because I can't really afford an extra $100 a year or more.  I had it working once without one if I just clicked continue anyway.  Lol.. :)

But I don't really understand how to configure autodiscoverentries in the DNS and unsure if you mean on server or client.  I'm using Exchange 2007 with Outlook 2010 as the client.  Is there a KB on how to setup the DNS autodiscoverentries?  Or maybe a quick explanation?  Thank you for helping. 

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:09 AM
  • Hi,

yes there is a KB article on setup tet autodiscover entries. Because Autodoscover is a Exchange feature not an Outlook client feature. This article covers Exchagne 2007 with Outlook 2007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940881

hope this helps.

• Edited by Peddy1st Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:33 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:25 AM
  • Please ensure that you have RPC over HTTP setup also

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998934%28EXCHG.80%29.aspx

You would be a single server deployment.

Autodiscover will not help much if the server wont take the RPC over HTTPS.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:11 PM
  • RPC over HTTP was enabled, Outlook Anywhere was enabled.  I then followed ran some kind of microsoft tool to fix DNS issues, and it caused about 1000 errors then after running DCDiag.exe, compared to the 1 or 2 it had before.

It also broke my network sharing out of the second network port, causing me to have to drive 90 minutes to the server.

I decided I'd let google run my mail server and use Windows 7 to run the basic website and other server functions. 

Feel like I wasted $750 on SBS.  It's junk.

None-the-less, thanks for trying to help me guys.  I felt like it was so close, but then that dang "fix" broke everything and I didn't have time to restore from complete backup.
    • Edited by SpyderCanopus Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by SpyderCanopus Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:53 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:50 AM