none
Moving Mailboxes Database from all in one roles Exchange 2010 Server

Question

• We have only one Server with All Roles of Exchange 2010.

I got three New Servers.

1- I need to use Current Server as CAS and i will add another Server and want to get CAS Array for High Availability through NLB.

So i need to move the Current MBx Database to another Server so that i Can make the DAGs.

2- What is Procedure to Safely move the MBx Database to another server without getting any trouble in Clients mailboxes?

Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

just create new mailbox database on new server and move the mailboxes one by one to new DB.

Thanks.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:55 AM
  • Hi,

just create new mailbox database on new server and move the mailboxes one by one to new DB.

Thanks.

I have about 4700 Mailboxes. 

Is there no risk to move the Mailboxes Database?

Any Changes needed after moving MBx Database to new Server?

Thanks

Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:32 AM
  • Hi ,

If both the exchange servers are of same Exchange Organization, you can copy & paste all files to new destination location, 

Make sure you verify the DB state and it should show Clean Shutdown before you copy it.
    Dismount the database on the Original server before you mount it on the other server. 
    As per Microsoft, movement is supported when destination Server has equal or higher version of Windows & service pack level of Exchange 2007 and 2010

also I would suggest to try move in your test environment as you have 4700 mailboxes in Production.

• Edited by p.th Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:03 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Hello,

The following article explains moving a Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 mailbox database between Exchange 2010 Mailbox servers in the same organization.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876926(v=exchg.141).aspx

Hope it helps,

• Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:38 PM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Thanks all for the Answers.

After moving the MBx Database to other Server, Mailbox roles required to be removed from Current Server?

Moving Database to another Server Can cause any Change in Current Setting of OWA, Outlook etc?

Monday, August 26, 2013 7:02 PM