none
Cannot Run Msconfig in Normal Mode.

Question

• I cannot run Msconfig in Normal Mode, but can in Safe Mode. There are 2 instances of msconfig on my computer;   C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386, & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache. Should it be in C:WINDOWS\System32 ?
    I run a WinXP SP3, fully pathed, with Outpost Firewall, & Symantec Endpoint Antivirus real-time. 
    My machine is an IBM Thincentre, P4, with 2GB Ram.
    I run as Adminstrator.
    Friday, October 02, 2009 6:05 AM

All replies

• Yes, it should be located in %systemroot%\system32 directory.

From the command line;

sfc /scannow

should sort it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

Regards, Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup. Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Actually, msconfig.exe should be in c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries .
    Monday, October 12, 2009 10:14 AM
  • Thanks to both of u for replying.
    I also do have an instance of msconfig in c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries.
    I also did a scan of the system files, to no avail.
    Maybe it's a program that's blocking its running in normal mode ?
    Also, are there any particular services that need to be enabled for msconfig to run ? 

My Antivirus is updated on a daily basis, & I run a full system scan every week, so it couldn't/shouldn't be a virus ( as a lot of posts on the net suggest ). Also, I'm able to run regedit, & task manager without a problem.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Can you run msconfig.exe directly from c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries?
    Monday, October 12, 2009 11:00 AM
  • No, I can't. Only in Safe Mode.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 8:21 AM
  • What happens when you try to run it and you're not booted into safe mode?

Can you run it from the dllcache folder when you're not booted into safe mode?
    Monday, October 19, 2009 10:04 AM
  • Nothing. Similarly, from the dllcache folder. ( Although, the PC seems to be working a bit harder, as seen from the LEDs. )
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:50 AM
  • Can you run Dependency Walker from www.dependencywalker.com?  Open msconfig.exe, press F7, check all boxes, and then click OK.  What is the last line in the output pane at the bottom of DW?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:58 AM