none
Can I re-read my precious files on a RAW hard drive?

Question

• I am wondering whether it is possible to re-read my important files on a RAW hard drive.

I don’t know why my external hard drive becomes really strange recently. Every time I try to use it on my computer, an error message will be given and ask me to format it at first. But, there are still some precious files. So, I carefully checked its “Properties”. Everything is going well, except one point: the previous “NTFS” file system is mysteriously changed into an un-known “RAW” file system. Is that the problem? Can you help me out? I really need to re-access these precious files. Help me, please!  

Saturday, October 12, 2013 3:15 AM

Answers

• Hello! Have you resolved your “RAW drive problem” yet?

If not, I think I can help!

In fact, as I know, the RAW hard drive problems are often caused by many reasons, such as the improper operations, virus infections and even hard drive problems, etc. But, in most cases, it can be easily fixed by re-formatting.

So, you also can try to format this RAW drive to fix its RAW problems.

However, considering about the safety of the inner stored files, you’d better firstly try to retrieve them back off from this RAW drive with a RAW drive data recovery program in case that the formatting process makes everything worse.

Nowadays, there are many similar hard drive data recovery programs that can help you retrieve your inaccessible data off from this RAW drive and restore your RAW file system back into previous NTFS file system latter. But not all of them can work as efficiently as you hope.

So, if you cannot make your own decision, you can try to use some RAW drive data recovery freeware at firstly, which often work much more efficiently than some paid ones, such as PC Inspector File Recovery, TestDisk, Recuva and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.   

Note:

Do not forget to format this drive after the data recovery process and see whether the RAW problem can be completely fixed.

Next time, I hope you can always remember to back up everything important in case of similar data recovery problems.

• Marked as answer by Brook00l8 Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:43 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:40 AM

All replies

• This is the wrong forum for this question. Try using this:

http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-a-raw-drive-to-work-again-without-losing-data

I've got no idea if this will work

Monday, October 14, 2013 10:46 AM
  • I am wondering whether it is possible to re-read my important files on a RAW hard drive.

I don’t know why my external hard drive becomes really strange recently. Every time I try to use it on my computer, an error message will be given and ask me to format it at first. But, there are still some precious files. So, I carefully checked its “Properties”. Everything is going well, except one point: the previous “NTFS” file system is mysteriously changed into an un-known “RAW” file system. Is that the problem? Can you help me out? I really need to re-access these precious files. Help me, please!  

There's a bunch of software (including free ones) that use to scan your drive with or w/o mounted file system (RAW is fine) and try to read files using file headers and assumption file is not fragmented. You may be lucky to get your data back. My favorite:

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

Hope this helped :)

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Monday, October 14, 2013 9:14 PM

In fact, as I know, the RAW hard drive problems are often caused by many reasons, such as the improper operations, virus infections and even hard drive problems, etc. But, in most cases, it can be easily fixed by re-formatting.

However, considering about the safety of the inner stored files, you’d better firstly try to retrieve them back off from this RAW drive with a RAW drive data recovery program in case that the formatting process makes everything worse.

Nowadays, there are many similar hard drive data recovery programs that can help you retrieve your inaccessible data off from this RAW drive and restore your RAW file system back into previous NTFS file system latter. But not all of them can work as efficiently as you hope.

So, if you cannot make your own decision, you can try to use some RAW drive data recovery freeware at firstly, which often work much more efficiently than some paid ones, such as PC Inspector File Recovery, TestDisk, Recuva and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.   

Note:

Do not forget to format this drive after the data recovery process and see whether the RAW problem can be completely fixed.

Next time, I hope you can always remember to back up everything important in case of similar data recovery problems.

• Marked as answer by Brook00l8 Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:43 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:40 AM

Note:

Thank you for your detailed description.  

I really know nothing of the RAW drive problem. But, after reading your answer, I have learned a lot. So, I follow your suggestion and try your mentioned data recovery freeware that have finally restored all my wanted data back. Now, the RAW problem is also fixed by the formatting process.

Thanks a lot!!!

Have  a nice day!
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:44 AM