none
Automating Criteria Based Group Membership

Question

• Hi all,

I am setting up some criteria based membership rules for security groups and there are going to be a lot of groups.  I can predict the rules based on the name of the group and I have a list of group names.  Is there a way that I can automate the criteria rules using scripts or SQL statements rather than setting this up by had for literally 1000's of groups?

Thanks.

Saturday, February 15, 2014 3:07 PM

All replies

• You can automate creation of such number of groups by using powershell commands - for example based on a csv file. Check for example FIM.psm1 module from codeplex or any other from codeplex - PowerShell management of FIM is much easier with them.

Keep trying

• Proposed as answer by MKołódź Saturday, February 15, 2014 7:10 PM
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 4:06 PM
  • Dominik is right, use powershell to achieve the results.

Here is a link to the script:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2109.how-to-use-powershell-to-create-criteria-based-security-groups-from-a-csv-file.aspx

• Edited by kmittal82 Saturday, February 15, 2014 4:44 PM Got the name wrong.. woops
    • Proposed as answer by MKołódź Saturday, February 15, 2014 7:10 PM
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 4:29 PM
  • Thanks for the pointer guys.  I will check it out.

In the scenario that I mention, the groups already exist within AD and are populated.  Does anyone know how this script would behave in this scenario?

Ill check it out for myself if I get the chance before anyone can answer.

Sunday, February 16, 2014 8:37 PM