none
Exchange 2013 SMTP limits

    Question

  • We recently upgraded from an Exchange 2007 server to an Exchange 2013 server. We recreated the relays as best we could and now we have a couple of our users that are experiencing issues. They use an outside bulk email web service when they have to send updates to many of their clients (usually @ 100 - 300) and they can now only send to 5 clients at a time.

    The way it works is they input their email address through the web service, our SMTP address, and authenticate through us. It then sends out the emails using our relay so it goes out as them and provides the delivery report of who was sent the email. Since the move to Exchange 2013 they are now limited to 5 at a time and show "Delivery successful" while the rest show as:

    "Delivery Failure, Expected "250", Instead Reported 421 4.4.2 Message submission rate for this client has exceeded the configured limit"

    I have made changes using the Get-ReceiveConnector and changed the MessageRateLimit from 5 to 50 and it still does not work. I even changed them all (unnecessary, but getting desperate) to unlimited at one point to test and it still only allows 5 at a time.

    I realize this is a configuration setting somewhere, I just can't find it. Any direction on this would be appreciated.

    ~Rick

    Friday, August 23, 2013 2:26 PM

Answers

  • I also took the opportunity to check the Get-ReceiveConnector and their MaxRecipientsPerMessage are set to default - 200.
    Friday, August 23, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Issue has been resolved. When I ran the "Set-receiveconnector -messageratelimit 250", I never restarted the service. After restarting the service the user is now able to use the bulk email site to send to his 200 recipients as normal.

    • Marked as answer by RArmacost Monday, August 26, 2013 4:06 PM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 4:06 PM

All replies

  • Run Get-TransportConfig and check the MaxRecipientEnvelopeLimit setting.

    Friday, August 23, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Thanks for responding. I checked this and it is set to default - unlimited.

    Friday, August 23, 2013 3:02 PM
  • I also took the opportunity to check the Get-ReceiveConnector and their MaxRecipientsPerMessage are set to default - 200.
    Friday, August 23, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Issue has been resolved. When I ran the "Set-receiveconnector -messageratelimit 250", I never restarted the service. After restarting the service the user is now able to use the bulk email site to send to his 200 recipients as normal.

    • Marked as answer by RArmacost Monday, August 26, 2013 4:06 PM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 4:06 PM