none
Single OWA user cannot create new mail messages - Exchange 2010

Question

• A single user cannot create a new message using OWA but can send etc. with other email applications just fine. Using IE10 or Chrome, the "New" button will do nothing - no popup, no error etc. Any other user account tested on the same workstation with the same browser windows even works fine.

So far I've migrated the user in question to a new DB to see if that did anything, compared all the users account properties with another working account (Get-Mailbox %username% | fl), compared security group memberships etc. on the user account itself and verified the same policies are in effect - no differences.

I'm pretty much stumped as to where else to even look with this. Any help would be appreciated!

• Edited by RGX612A Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:34 PM

Answers

• So I ended up exporting to PST, deleting the mailbox, creating a new mailbox and then importing the PST back in. This solved the problem, but no idea what was actually wrong.
    • Marked as answer by RGX612A Tuesday, November 05, 2013 9:46 PM
    Tuesday, November 05, 2013 9:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this issue occur when other users using your PC?

How about the impact, internal, external or both? 

Does it have additional OWA issue, like cannot delete emails in OWA, etc. .

Please also check the IIS log when we cannot new message in OWA.

Thanks

Mavis

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, November 04, 2013 4:30 AM
  • Hello Mavis,

This only affects this users account. Other accounts on the same computer - same logon session, even in the same browser window do not have the issue. Access both internal and external are affected and no other problems were noticed (such as deleting messages).

I believe that the IIS logs do not show any request being sent - it was simply like the button/link did nothing. I'm working on getting the log copied again now but I'm pretty sure that was the case.

** Update! - I just went back over the original issue and it appears that the New message button works fine in the "light version", but using the full version it does not work.

Monday, November 04, 2013 7:10 PM
  • Hello,

Please check if this user has any specific OWA policy assigned accidentally. Get-OwaMailboxPolicy -Identity user and compare with a working user mailbox.

just my 2 cents!

Regards, Siva

Monday, November 04, 2013 7:57 PM
  • I had previously checked that and we only have one policy in effect and all users are under that.

thx

Monday, November 04, 2013 9:18 PM
  • So I ended up exporting to PST, deleting the mailbox, creating a new mailbox and then importing the PST back in. This solved the problem, but no idea what was actually wrong.
    • Marked as answer by RGX612A Tuesday, November 05, 2013 9:46 PM
    Tuesday, November 05, 2013 9:46 PM
  • I have this same issue with a customer right now. I did exactly what RGX612A did and deleted the mailbox, and then created a new mailbox for the user. The problem is that it worked for only two days and then broke again! My client is running Exchange 2010 SP3 RU2 on Server 2008 R2 SP1. Please help!!!
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:10 PM