none
Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.6 on Windows Server 2012 Blocks Setup Programs

Question

• This is not so much a question as a statement of fact.

Setup programs for the DB2 DataServer Client v9.7, v10.1 and v10.5 would not start because they could not recognise the OS version on Windows Server 2012 Datacenter. This was consistent on three VMs I was configuring in preparation for installation of Microsoft Dynamics AX. I raised an SR with IBM to try to obtain a resolution, but the log files provided no clue. Then, the same issue appeared yesterday afternoon with the setup program for Microsoft SQL Server 2012 when I tried to start it to add features to the existing SQL Server installation, thus proving conclusively that it was not an IBM issue. The SQL Server 2012 setup program could not correctly identify the OS version and consequently reported that the prerequisites were not met.

Since it was now evident that the IBM setup programs were not the problem, I had to look elsewhere. My first suspicion of the cause was the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit v5.6 which I had installed on the server after SQL Server to provide compatibility for a Siebel client installation. This turned out to be correct. After I uninstalled the Microsoft Application Compatibility fixes and Toolkit v5.6, the setup programs for MS SQL Server and DB2 correctly identified the OS version and ran to completion.

I also believe that the ACT was causing general instability in the OS as it became gradually more difficult to obtain a login over RDP the further away we got from the last reboot and we were witnessing some peculiar application failures.

Having uninstalled the ACT, the instability was gone.

I have had a look on Connect to see if it's possible to bug report ACT, but it isn't, so how do I get my findings to Microsoft?

Gary

• Edited by Warren T Void Friday, October 11, 2013 12:02 AM Correct title
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:59 PM

Answers