none
What is the default file format for saving in MS Office 2013? Is it still the transitional OOXML or the ISO/IEC 29500 strict format?

Question

• As I have read, MS Office 2013 is able to read and write the ISO/IEC 29500 strict (standardized Office Open XML) file format. MS Office 2010 was only able to read the strict format and MS Office 2007 could neither read nor write the strict format. The .docx, .xlsx and .pptx saved by Office 2007 and 2010 were only complying to the OOXML transitional, as far as I understood.

My main question is what the default file format for saving in MS Office 2013 actually is? Is it still the transitional OOXML or the ISO/IEC 29500 strict format?

In case, MS Office still saves in the transitional standard by default, is it possible to set the strict standard in the settings? Is this recommended (I assume that OOXML strict is the future) to do this?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, May 01, 2013 7:42 AM

Answers

• Yes, the Transitional is still the default file format for saving in Office 2013, and we can modify this setting in Word Options, Save:

As Alex Brown covers in his blog post, "Transitional is intended to preserve the fidelity of existing binary documents being migrated to ISO/IEC 29500, and includes many legacy features for compatibility with existing documents. Strict is a subset of Transitional that does not include legacy features – this makes it theoretically easier for a new implementer to support (since it has a smaller technical footprint, so to speak), but also makes it less able to preserve the fidelity of existing documents."

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 03, 2013 2:07 AM

All replies

• Yes, the Transitional is still the default file format for saving in Office 2013, and we can modify this setting in Word Options, Save:

As Alex Brown covers in his blog post, "Transitional is intended to preserve the fidelity of existing binary documents being migrated to ISO/IEC 29500, and includes many legacy features for compatibility with existing documents. Strict is a subset of Transitional that does not include legacy features – this makes it theoretically easier for a new implementer to support (since it has a smaller technical footprint, so to speak), but also makes it less able to preserve the fidelity of existing documents."

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 03, 2013 2:07 AM
  • It is great the docx (strict) is now enabled in Office. The key issue for me is: Can I set it to be the default saving format in Office 2013?

If it remains something I have to go select everytime I want to save, it sidelines the new standard. 

Monday, January 20, 2014 3:09 PM
  • If both TRANSITION and STRICT are in the DOCX format, and let's move on 30 years, and I see a list of DOCX formats, how would I know which ones fully complies with the standard? From what I see, it seems a poor choice to mix the TRANSITION and STRICT.
    Monday, January 20, 2014 3:11 PM