none
LocalGPO Tool for Windows 8.1

Question

• I've downloaded the latest SCM 3.0 but the LocalGPO tool will not work.  It tells me that windows 8.1 is not supported.  Is there an update that I am missing or a work around?

Thanks,

Peter

Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:34 PM

All replies

• I was able to enable the MSS settings by editing the LocalGPO script. Specifically the Chkosversion function.

If(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.2") and (strProductType <> "1") then strOS = "WS12" ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.2") and (strProductType = "1") then strOS = "Win8" ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.1") and (strProductType <> "1") then strOS = "WS08R2" ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.1") and (strProductType = "1") then strOS = "Win7" ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.0") and (strProductType <> "1") then strOS = "WS08" ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.0") and (strProductType = "1") then strOS = "VISTA" ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "5.2") and (strProductType <> "1") then strOS = "WS03" ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "5.2") and (strProductType = "1") then strOS = "XP" ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "5.1") and (strProductType = "1") then strOS = "XP" Else 'strMessage = DisplayMessage(conLABEL_CODE002) 'Call MsgBox(strMessage, vbOKOnly + vbCritical, strTitle) 'Call CleanupandExit strOS = "Win8" End If

Essentially I just told it that the OS was Windows 8 and to not give off any errors in the function. Chances are this is not supported but it worked for my needs.
    • Proposed as answer by Marcel Brabetz Thursday, August 21, 2014 4:01 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Thanks Conrad,

worked like hell :-)

As some further hints for following readers:

When using localgpo and exporting with the option "/gpopack" you also have to modify the gpopack.wsf in nearly the same way:

This changes worked for me:

'Checks whether the operating system is Windows XP or _
            'Windows Server 2003 or Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 or _
            'Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

If(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.2") and (strProductType <> "1") then 
    	   strOS = "WS12"
            ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.2") and (strProductType = "1") then 
    	   strOS = "Win8"
            ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.1") and (strProductType <> "1") then 
    	   strOS = "WS08R2"
            ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.1") and (strProductType = "1") then 
    	   strOS = "Win7"
            ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.0") and (strProductType <> "1") then 
    	   strOS = "WS08"
            ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.0") and (strProductType = "1") then 
    	   strOS = "VISTA"
            ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "5.2") and (strProductType <> "1") then
    	   strOS = "WS03"
            ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "5.2") and (strProductType = "1") then 
    	   strOS = "XP"
            ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "5.1") and (strProductType = "1") then 
    	   strOS = "XP"
            Else
              If Not(WScript.Arguments.Named.Exists("Silent")) Then
                'strMessage = "GPOPacks only work on Windows XP Professional, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, or Windows Server 2012"
                'Call MsgBox(strMessage, vbOKOnly + vbCritical, strTitle)
    	  strOS = "Win8"
    		End If
             ' Call CleanupandExit 
    	strOS = "Win8"
            End If

Marcel Brabetz

Thursday, August 21, 2014 4:08 PM
  • Hi Peter

Download the latest security baseline from here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/secguide/archive/2014/08/13/security-baselines-for-windows-8-1-windows-server-2012-r2-and-internet-explorer-11-final.aspx

The Zip File includes an updated Version of the LocalGPO script in \SCM_Win81-WS2012R2-IE11-Baselines-FINAL\Win81-WS2012R2-IE11-Baselines\Local_Script\MSS_Extension

Funny, unlike with the SCM Installation which includes an LocalGPO.msi installer, there is no installer included in that zip. I guess this will come with the next SCM Version.

Patrick

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 9:05 PM